BC Boards

Heat Stress and sheep

NancyO

Yesterday, late afternoon, was checking the sheep. They are on pasture, with free choice minerals, with 3 shaded areas, they mainly stay in the oasis of trees near the upper end of the field though. I assume this is where they have been all day, as I didn't see a disruption in the grass going to the other 2 areas.

They have an automatic waterer that is in the shade, water was nice and cool, as it usually is.

Sheep were wormed about 3 1/2 weeks ago with cydectin and on Monday with Safeguard, mainly because I will be away for 12 days, with friends checking on the sheep for me,, would rather be safe than sorry, since it was about time to worm them anyway.

One sheep was very wobbly when I got down to the field, I don't live at my field. I gave it nutridrench and wormed it with levasole, as a precaution, tho it did not appear anemic. I put it and another sheep in the carport area, that has access to the round pen grass and I gave them some dry hay, and put a large tub of water under the carport for them. If there is any breeze, the 2 open ends of the carport will usually catch it, though I don't think there is any breeze.

Temps were near 100 yesterday with very high humidity and expect to go that high again today. The sheep seemed to improve after the nutridrench.

I will be going and checking on them around noon today.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or things to be done for sheep that appear to be affected by the heat. Or anything else you can think to do for the sheep. I do not have a barn fan, and at this time do not plan on buying one.

Nancy O

Hi Nancy.

I'm not an expert and don't have any great advice. We are trying to keep our sheep (using electronet) in areas where there's a breeze coming off a hill and big shade trees to hide under, plus plenty of cool, fresh water. Since they were shorn in April, they've already developed pretty good fleeces, but we're hoping shade, no excess movement, and plenty of water will help them weather (no pun intended) the heat.

J.

Good News! The ewe seemed absolutely fine today. Gave her more nutridrench just to be on the safe side and turned her and her buddy out with the rest of the flock.

There is a lovely breeze today, still very hot, but not as humid.

Everyone else seemed OK

Nancy O