BC Boards

Thistle

Jodi

The thistle in my pasture is pretty bad this year. Apart from going out and digging it up, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of it ... or control it? Is there anything that I can spray on it that wouldn't hurt the sheep should they ingest some of it? Should I mow it down, or would that make it worse? Some of it has already gone to seed.

Jodi

The thistle in my pasture keeps getting worse also. If you spray with Round-up or WD40(or is it 2 4 D), you need to keep the animals off of the pasture for around 10 days It will tell you the exact amount of time on the bottle but I am not trecking out to the shed to find out tonight.

Round -up will kill everything so that you would also have to re-seed.

The other spray will just get thistles and weeds.

Mowing can help but you must mow before it goes to seed or it is too late and you will will then get more thistles next year.

When you spray, preferably twice, starts early in the spring when they just break though--generally in mid April.

Like I said, I have a thistle problem too and this is the information that I have obtained on how to eliminate it....but haven't utilized it.

I will definitely spray next spring. I'm sick of digging and mowing and never getting ahead of it.

There are a few herbicides that have no grazing restrictions. Every label I've read recommends treating thistles at least twice, and one of the times is after bloom, when the plant is relocating nutrients to the root.

I think that Garlon 3A is effective against thistles, and it has no grazing restriction if the area treated is less than 25 percent of the area grazed. Most thistles would be spot-treated anyway, so you should be in pretty good shape.

There is a three-day pre-slaughter withdrawl from treated ground, however, during the year of treatment, so you might need to leave one paddock untreated (or perhaps dig the one paddock).