BC Boards

lamb first aid

I've already treated this guy because I figured time was of the essence. However, I'd appreciate some imput. I had a lamb panic as my dog gathered the sheep in a tight area. The lamb jumped into the bottom of a metal gate and degloved a portion of its leg. There is no muscle damage or broken bone, just a big chunk of ripped open skin. I gave him 1cc of liquamycin (20 lb. lamb). Then I sprayed the wound with blue-cote (ow!), applied fly swat the best I could. I know this sounds weird, but I've heard of it used successfully before: I superglued the the skin back to his leg. I didn't completely reattach it because I was worried about infection setting in. Does this sound okay or should I have done something else?

Renee

That's why i was asking, if you could trim it off. I've had a couple with some pretty nasty injuries and trimmed them and they did fine. I'd say keep up the antibiotics and get some screw worm spray and keep it sprayed to keep the flies out. Flies shouldn't be too bad now though.

My understanding is that superglue and surgical glue are basically the same thing - probably just packaged differently - and one is much more expensive, I'm sure. Only other thing I could think of is some sort of drain (I'm remembering dogs at the vet office I worked at, they would put in a "drain" that looked like a flat/soft rubber tube that allowed fluids, etc. to drain out of the wound - then removed about 3-5 days later). Course, that isn't too practical of an item for barnyard surgery - two thumbs up for not freaking. Amazing how much trouble they can get into so quickly and easily. I once broke a lambs leg by lifting him over a gate and letting him "drop" about a foot from the ground. PVC Pipe, cut in half lengthwise makes wonderful splints, by the way. Good luck with the baby.

Thanks guys. The lamb looks great so far. The superglue seems to be holding things in place and he's walking around just fine. Maybe in a few days he'll be back to lamb races. I don't think I could put a drain in, but I didn't glue it down completely, so I think that will act as a drain.

Renee