BC Boards

eye problems

Cindy Evans

Hi, I seldom post, but need some help. I posted on another board and got no answer.

I have an ewe who seems to be losing hair around her eyes. She is the only one of them with this problem. I have wiped around her eyes with ivermec but it does not seem to have changed. (I thought it might have been mange.) Her eyes seem to be fine, just losing hair around them. Skin is red and moist looking.

Anyone seen something like this before, or any suggestions on what I might try?

BTW they are in the woods (overgrown brush and small trees) cleaning them out, and not on pasture.

Cindy

Fungal infection is my guess. I get stuff like this occaisionally. It's tricky on the face because you can't hit them with anything strong, but try a mild wash of something suitable for eyes like a boric acid solution. This may seem kind of silly, but also try monostat if it seems to respond a little to the boric acid but is not quite going away.

I don't know why I keep getting the fungal infections here - humidity, I guess - you'd be even more subject there in GA. For me, they often go away in the winter and then return next summer - that's what finally clued me in that these things were fungal in nature. Good luck and keep us updated!