BC Boards

O/T..sort of..composting 'dog doo' :)

KrisK

Can anyone tell me why (if there is a reason) that dog droppings can't be used in composting? The dogs' area is large, and since I'm picking up after them anyway, and sending it for disposal at the landfill Iwas wondering if I could make better use of the readily available 'manure'. Since moving to this great rural area, I have lots of space and will be planting lots of trees, flowers, etc.

I wouldn't use it in the vegetable garden (whenever I get to it...I'm still trying to figure out what will grow here!)

Any thoughts?

You can compost dog waste AS LONG AS you don't use the compost on food products. The reason for this is that composting may not kill parasites/eggs (e.g., roundworms, tapeworms) which, if ingested by humans, can cause serious disease. Dog feces also carry a number of other bacteria and pathogens that can be harmful to humans (particularly pregnant women), so obviously :rolleyes: you need to use good hygiene and ensure that your compost pile gets "hot enough". I looked into doing this a while back and found a number of good (research-based) guides online.

Is it really spring?

Kim

I am SO pumped about composting. I can't remember who suggested it but thanks to you we're setting up the composter this weekend. I don't plan to just use dead sheep in it, either!

We used to compost in California and the gardens were SO nice. My gardens are currently a wasteland but at this very moment I'm attempting to restore them to their pre-babies state (ok, actually right now I'm sitting here nursing a screwed up knee, but I was in the middle of yardwork when I did it). The "babies" are now old enough to help!

The dogs and ducks eat all my kitchen trash, which is why I never really thought about it, but the farm certain produces a ton of organic trash. (c:

I really like composting too - I especially like the idea that we're not wasting anything. Everything gets (re)used - household scraps, lamb parts, manure, etc. If it doesn't go into the soil and become flowers and food, the chickens peck at it, and it becomes eggs. Really neat!

Kim

I've seen composters designed for just pet waste that look interesting. I think Lee Valley Farms has one. It's a tall, narrow green cone, which is placed over a fairly deep pit and supposed to contain odors and repel varmints. I'll see if I can locate a photo and source.

I did a quick search for pet waste composters and there are lots of sites but I also found a site describing how pet waste is loaded with pathogens that don't break down even years later.

http://mailman.cloudnet.com/pipermail/comp...ber/012674.html