BC Boards

Show dog goes back to his roots?

Well, I'd like to know where the dog is now and how his sheepdog trial career turned out. It's all well and good to say the dog shows instinct because it circled the outside of a round pen with sheep in it, but it seems to me that two years later we'd be seeing something about the dog's ISDS trial career. Is it possible to find if that info exists? Perhaps even write to Roy and ask him whatever became of Blue?

J.

I am only familiar with the author of the article through his books on training for competetive obedience.

The dogs pedigree however is unremarkable even from a show standpoint and the author saying that his prowess with sheep is due to his trialling lineage generations back is again unremakable as the same successful trialling dogs of yesterday crop up many times in the pedigree of just about every show Border Collie.

I know of several handlers who have dogs that are primarily show bred that also work sheep but they are not working the sheep for a living it is merely as an outlet and enjoyment for the dog and handler.

I do not personally know anyone with a dog that has become ISDS registered on merit but of course there is at least one well known example.

>

There may be no question in Roy's mind, but I'm not sure that counts for much, since AFAIK he has no background in genetics, and scientific opinion is totally to the contrary. I would say that a breeding programme has "foundered" as soon as it's directed toward breeding for show.

>

So prove it, already! Roy and his acolytes began talking about this superb herding dog of unsurpassed working ability two years ago. This was written in Oct 2004 when Roy had been working with the dog for 5 months and it was nearly two. At that point it could apparently go around sheep and lie down. It's now more than a year and a half later. Why haven't we seen more of this phenomenon? At a trial, say, where we could judge for ourselves if the flowery praise is justified.

I think this proves there are major limitations on what you can learn from a career in explicating pedigrees.