BC Boards

Code of Ethics anyone?

laurie etc

Starting a new thread on this because I can't keep track of the long/deleted/revised/etc poor breeders thread in my mind. The thought occured to me that if all one has to do to become a member of ABCA is send in your 10 bucks, (or $100 for lifetime membership)maybe ABCA should institute a code of ethics to be signed along with the payment in order for membership to be accepted. I know this is Kennel Club-ish in nature, but I think it also sends a signal to the public that the ABCA does care about what it is breeding adn registering. The COE would also be sent out to current lifetime members - and maybe some of the the "not the boss of me" lifetime members would balk, but if explained that it is for the overall breed protection and public perception, they might comply. It's pretty general and non-restrictive, but also touches on some important issues that would at least raise awareness. Maybe this would be better used as a USBCC membership requirement, but I think getting to all the potential breeders would be best. Here's my initial stab at it...

Sample CODE OF ETHICS

All members and applicants must agree with the Constitution and By-Laws of the ?(ABCA ,USBCC, or regional organization, i.e., VBCA?)?.

The following code of ethics is presented as an encouragement to members whose goal should be the welfare and improvement of the working Border Collie.

Ethical breeding is the backbone of the future of the Border Collie breed. Each litter should be appropriately planned to uphold and improve the working heritage and ability of the breed.

Breeders must ask themselves if they have the knowledge, time, and resources to be a breeder. This issue affects the quality, health, and future of the animals themselves, as well as the breed. Breeders have a responsibility to research and understand genetics, common breed problems, and the particular attributes or faults in a line they plan to perpetuate.

This code applies to both the owners of the brood bitch and the stud dog:

1. All breeding stock should be of sound temperament and free of any serious inheritable defects.

2. As a guideline, it is suggested that both sire and dam have:

a. A fair or better hip rating by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), non-dysplastic Cornell University Hip reading or Penn-Hip equivalent.

b. An eye exam and be certified normal by the Canine Eye registry (CERF) or an annual eye examination or report from an AVCO Board certified ophthalmologist marked "normal" for both eyes, or a ?non-affected? DNA certification.

3. Dogs with other serious inheritable diseases such as epilepsy, severe allergies, or auto immune disorders should be excluded from a breeding program. Unprovoked aggression is contrary to the Border Collie breed, and a dog with these tendencies should not be bred.

4. A bitch should not be allowed to produce an excessive number of litters. Sufficient time should be allowed between litters for the bitch to recuperate.

5. Routine veterinary care prior to each breeding is essential to evaluate the condition of the dog or bitch. Care should be taken not to breed any dog or bitch that is not in top condition.

In applying for membership of the ??? I agree to and will abide by the aforementioned Code of Ethics.

Signature/Date

----------------

I am eager to see what responses you get on this, Laurie. In my limited experience, when you join almost any group or organization, you do have to "agree" to some standards, and not just send in a check.

I think you make some great points (although I would do #5 differently, I think, as it would be problematic particularly in terms of a popular stud dog - maybe just an annual "check-up" for breeding dogs like my vet does).

I doubt you could "go back" and expect all current members to sign off on this (at least the life members; I expect you could make it a requirement for new members and renewals).

I would think it would "add credibiity" to those who signed it but would only be meaningful for those who would actually follow the guidelines. And, in that case, mightn't those already be the folks who are "doing it right" already?

We all know the most irresponsible people have ways to get around anything, including vet certificates. For many puppy millers and their like, there is a vet willing to be paid to sign off paperwork for them and turn a blind eye to reality.

Perhaps this might be more symbolic than enforceable, but it might be meaningful nonetheless.