BC Boards

Breeding MY Way

I just went to the web site of the West VA shelter where a couple dozen dogs will be euthanized, tomorrow I guess, I didn't quite get the details. That sounds terrible but it happens every week within driving distance of me, among all the major metro shelters and teeny rural shelters.

Then I read this:

"Its my choice what *I* sell puppies for.
It's not just Samantha, I hear this on every hand, people breeding Border Collies without any regard for their traditional purpose. "I'll breed Border Collies to be pets/sportdogs/beauty show stars and you can just go do something unnatural to yourself if you don't like it."

Don't get me wrong, Border Collies are great at all that and I've said many times that the greatness that working breeding gave them also makes for great anything else, just about. If you MUST have a Border Collie, go to a responsible working breeder (check out the USBCC objectives and use that as a starting point for screening breeders). But for those that just want a nice family pet, PLEASE don't overlook the wonderful dogs available at every kill shelter in the country. Not to mention rescues of course.

He's waiting there for you - http://tinyurl.com/5peqt

It's not just Samantha, I hear this on every hand, people breeding Border Collies without any regard for their traditional purpose. "I'll breed Border Collies to be pets/sportdogs/beauty show stars and you can just go do something unnatural to yourself if you don't like it."
Please tell me where I said this!