BC Boards

New regulations for importation of dogs/puppies

KathyF

Just thought that some of you might like to take a look at this information.

Kathy

The US Federal Government has made a rule change on July 24 regarding the

importation and re-entry of dogs to the US... apparently they have not

advertised it and all sorts of people, both Canadians and Americans are

getting caught. Please read the

following www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm . You will be required to get

a permit and quarantine the pup in the case of a pup under 12 weeks, in

your home ... that's not too bad but it requires you to have the permit

before you pick up the pup. For Americans that are travelling in Canada

with dogs, this will affect you also.

• 3 weeks later...

I just brought a puppy across the US/Canada border. I had been warned about this and found it very difficult to find out EXACTLY what I needed. I emailed CDC and spoke to people with the Tx Animal Health commision.

I printed out the form and had it with me and the breeder also gave me one.

When it came to crossing the border. The guard commented on the cute puppy and said it didn't look like he had rabies, as an obvious after thought asked if I had gotten it in Canada. At that point I could have said no and I believe I would have past right through but I said that I had gotten him in Canada. So he says I have to see the "vet". So I go in with all my paper work. I hadn't filled out the form before hand because there were places on it for them to fill out. I never saw a vet or if I did they didn't identify themselves as one. The lady who helped me was the only one who'd ever filled out one of these forms and they used one they had there. They never looked at my health certificate. Since this was an 8 week old puppy the appropriate boxes were checked they signed I signed and they gave me the form and said bye.

Now as far as I can tell they kept no record of the form there and it's left to me to file it with the appropriate place but they didn't check the boxes where I was suppose to send it. I didn't see how they could enforce all of this.

So I did a lot of worry for nothing really. It seems to depend upon the people at the border. I think what was important is the puppy was going with me to my home. I had heard of a breeder taking puppies to fly out of SEATAC who was turned back. I think in that case you have to have a form signed by someone where the pup is going. The border people and vets I spoke to didn't really know much about this. I think it could be headache but luckily for me was not.