BC Boards

World Trial entries from US

Thank you for posting this, Denise!

Is anyone planning on going just to spectate?

My hubby has meetings in Ireland from 26 June to 1 July and then in Glasgow from 2 July to 7 July, after which we will be returning to Ireland for 8 to 11 July. We are staying about 1/2 hour from Tullamore - he will be checking into ecotourism (for work, of course) and I will be able to see the second day of qualification runs, the semi-finals, and the finals.

I would sure enjoy knowing if there will be anyone over there who will be training/working dogs between 26 June and 1 July, that I might be able to watch. I'd be MORE than happy to help in any way possible.

Also, I wonder if anyone is going to spectate and would mind some company at the trial? Or, even better, if any competitor would like a "groom" for their dog, or whatever! I've already ordered and sent payment for my pass and grandstand pass, and got my rainsuit and boots.

Absolutely!!!

I can email you privately, the addresses/websites for some bed and breakfasts that still have doubles/twins available. Most places are within a half-hour drive of the trial grounds. Places closer are already pretty booked up because of the trials.

Prices are generally about 30 Euro (about $38) and up per person, double room, ensuite shower/toilet. That usually includes a full Irish breakfast, and some places have packed lunches or other light meals available.

We are staying at Ardmore House in Kinnitty, at the foot of the Slieve Bloom Mountains, about 30k from Charlesville Estate. She is charging 38 Euro per night per person double room ensuite.

I am renting a car - if anyone wants to stay at Ardmore House, I would be happy to share car expenses, etc., to and from the trial. I can only be there on Fri through Sunday as plans are right now. If you want to rent a car, we have figured out that it's about 200 Euro (all add-ons, etc.) for unlimited mileage on a small three seater, a bit more four for a four-seater. If anyone wants to stay in Kinnitty and share car expenses, it would reduce the cost for us and you! Let me know privately.

I would absolutely LOVE to have friends (new or old) to visit with and hang around with at the trial. I'll cheer for Canada just as much as for the USA!

I would order your tickets now, as well. The four-day passes are probably not in jeopardy, but I also ordered the Grandstand pass (you have to order a four-day in conjunction with it) and the two are $84.50US. You can order on the World Trial website,

www.sheepdogtrialchampionships.co.uk/

but they do not have credit card ordering set up, so you have to send a check (they reserve tickets for 10 days). They are very nice about answering email questions.

Please, keep in touch!

A. - I did send you a private message with a number of websites for accomodations. Hope this works out for you guys!

Robin - Don't be jealous! You have great dogs, you know how to train and run them, you have sheep, you know what you are doing, you have great friends in the sheepdog world, etc. I am in inept handler with two young dogs that I am trying to not ruin, a bunch of cows that my hubby loves, and a chance of a lifetime!

I wish I was rich and could take all of you good people with me, Robin, Sam, Stacy, Tom, Sue, Deb, Karen, Denise, Christine, Mark and Renee, Rebecca, Eileen, Colin, and all the rest of the guys and gals.

My mother's never been to Europe before, so we are taking a trip together to London and Paris in June. I'm tempted to see if she's willing to go later and include Ireland on the itinerary, but I think if I ask her to spend her European vacation watching sheepdog trials she might literally kill me. Her usual refrain: "You're doing something with those dogs AGAIN?" often followed by "If you spend so much time with those dogs no one is ever going to want to marry you!"

She means well. She's just not a dog person. Poor woman, being saddled with me for a daughter.