BC Boards

Ontario Sheep dog trial!!!!!!!!

HI All

I was driving along and only just saw the sign, so I am sorry for the late warning.

The Milton Agricultural Museum is hosting a sheep dog trial this weekend, June 20-21.... Whichever the saturday and sunday dates are! I don't know admission, or the policy on bringing our own dogs but they do have a website and a phone number to answer all you questions!

I will be going, and I hope to see some of you there!

sara

Hey thats great Andrea, I wish the best of luck!

Is it considered poor taste to bring ones non-competing dog to watch? she would be quiet and well under control, but I wonder if she is even allowed on the grounds? You are obviously much more educated about these sorts of things could you give me some guidelines as to protocol, and things that newbies do that pisss others off. I would really appreciate the heads up :rolleyes:

sara

Hi Sara,

Sure, you could bring your dog, so long as you kept her on leash and under control. No socializing or play time I'm afraid. The dogs are there to work.

Bill my friend,

Nice of you to remember. Actually, that was Sylvia's trial. It was a magic moment, everything fell into place and we had an awesome run that day. Glad Chris remembers it too.

A.

Man that was a great trial (speaking as a spctator of course!) I have a new found respect for all of you who train in between full time jobs etc etc to get to this level of competition!!!!!!!

I do have a question though... are the sheep always so evil? How do you restrain yourselves from swinging your crook at them every now and then..... they were ridiculously stubborn and obtuse today (ok ok now that you can all tell that I'm a city girl-wannabe farm girl, stop laughing and answer the question ) It isn't hard to understand why a dog gets grippy, which leads to my next question, they were disqualified for gripping today.... I thought alittle grip was ok..?

sara

Originally posted by kaos:

I do have a question though... are the sheep always so evil?

Hi Sara,

Well, the sheep weren't really evil per se, but they would not tolerate being pushed too hard. It was hot, they had a lot of wool on them and they were not really fit. So you really had to baby them around the course. The ones that stopped and turned on the dog probably just could not go any further, so a grip did no good.

A.

Really? that was average for the sheep, because it seemed that every other set had a strongwilled one that would try to stare down the dog..... well I guess they are the great equalizers in the competition right?

Your dogs seemed to do fairly well, congrats on some really good runs, considering the heat and the sheep the cards were really stacked against you all!

I gotta say you have really inspired me to take my poor little no talent girl out and get going with the training.... if for no other reason than for fun as it is obvious that neither of us will ever progress much more than lessons :rolleyes:

sara