BC Boards

Post-spay - small bumps?

Rosanne

The spay question asked in the general discussion made me re-examine my little girl. She was spayed on the 3rd of December, so it's been about 20 days. Her stitches healed pretty well, she didn't bother them overly much, and once taken out she returned to her normal (active) lifestyle.

I was just rubbing her belly and noticed that she has two small bumps on the healed stitch-area. The incision scar is barely even noticeable at this point, but of course you can tell its a recently healed area, and she's all shaved as well. One bump is along the healed incision line, and one is just off it. They are both small, fairly dark, and don't seem attached below the skin. Sort of like pimples (?!) Anybody seen anything like this before? They don't seem to bother her, but she never had those before the spay. She was such an easy post-surgery dog that I've hardly paid much attention to it since the stitches were out a week and a half ago. . .

To me it looks like suture reaction at the ends of the incision line, where the knots are tied... the internal sutures are often absorbables (some people use steel, ouch) and the body will send cells in to break them down. If a continuous suture pattern was used on the abdominal body wall, there will be a knot at either end. The knot will naturally create a little more reaction, since it's bigger. If the bumps are going down, it's probably healing fine. If in doubt, see your vet... we don't charge to check our incision lines, not sure if your vet does or not.