BC Boards

How much exercise for a 6 Mo. Pup?

Betsy R.

Please help all of you experienced Border Collie Owners!!! My 6 mo old pup Tucker is an insane working machine(I'm not asking you guys to fix this! lol, he won't stop herding, running, galloping at the dog park so I have no idea when he is tired until I get him out of the park. I have been letting him run for about an hour once a day, which is pretty constant full out running herding the fastest ball catching, frisbee chasing, etc dog there. I am wondering if these is too much exercise for a puppy? Could I be damaging his joints or bones by letting him play this hard? Please any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Betsy

As someone who went through this about a year ago, let me say - they will NOT stop when they are tired, sore, in pain or injured.

I think that I might have gotten a little carried away by the "a BC must get adequate exercise" thing and let my pup run herself ragged a couple of times when I should have pulled the plug. (Allie ended up with a soft-tissue injury at 7 mos. which fortunately has completely healed).

As the "parent" of a now 18 mo. old pup I can you that the dog cannot set its own limits -- it's up to you. I now let Allie run play frisbee or fetch with the ball 4 or 5 times a week for 30 minutes. We do run and/or walk every day, but the full on, chase-till-you-drop (30 mins. even if you aren't really ready to drop) is regulated.

Give your pup lots of exercise, both mental and physical, but be sure to monitor their activities so they will have a long, pain-free, active life! (I don't let Allie do the long all-four-paws-in-the-air jump for the frisbee she can easily do, because the growth plates might not be completely closed until she is around 2 - better safe than sorry, in my view.)

Good luck with your pup and be sure to post post of pictures.

I think Deb is right on. Plus, I have found that mental exercise is as important, and poops a pup out, almost more then all the running. You don't want to end up with a dog that NEEDS that much every day. Exercise everyday, but we mix it up, dog park a couple of times a week, play in the back field a couple of time a week, a big hike once a week (I hope... that's for me :rolleyes: ), long leash walk once a week, etc. That way I hope that if I can't do it for some reason (get the flue, etc) he won't be hooked on one thing, and make me nuts. We also do lots of mental stuff, find it games, ID toys, teach him new tricks, etc. Hope this helps

Kristin, Hoku, and Gussy

The advice for mental exercise is imho right on. Besides, the pup needs to know what the rules are and who is in charge. As far as exercise, and this is coming from one who likes to run daily with his dogs, it needs to be age appropriate. Up to six months I think walking at the dogs pace is what is appropriate. Letting the ball of energy run around the yard or chase balls is a good thing but within limits. As far as frisbee goes, I'm feeling more and more that until they are more developed it may not be a good idea. (More developed meaning about a year, although I don't think BC's are fully developed until about three years.)

At six months I think its safe to start running with a BC but not during ANY heat and really watching the pups response. Max three miles slow. I kind of think that should be the level until about a year old, then, with a healthy and active background, they can be built up. Remember, BC's were bred to cover many, many miles. (I read of studies that measured 50-70 miles a day during a six week herding season which just blows my mind.) My opinion is that once they are trained up to a healthy level of exercise, they will let you know what's enough.

That's just my opinion, and I reserve the right to change it with more experience than the three BC's I've worked with.

-jay

Be careful what surfaces you are jogging on with your dog, though. Obviously, the impact of a nice dirt trail or grass is very different than asphalt.

Also, as Deb pointed out, some BC's are not good at knowing when to quit. I pay attention to cues that tell me Quinn is starting to get tired and needs a break. These cues can be getting clumsy and being interested in taking a treat. When we first start out playing, he has no interest in food. Fortunately, he shows very good sense about when to take a break if it is hot out and will go lie down in the shade on his own. However, not all dogs do. I know of one BC who played fetch on a hot day until it collapsed and died.

Does your pup have a good off switch yet? My limited exposure to these dogs is that most of them don't come with off switches. They need to be installed

Hi Liz,

Tucker didn't seem to come installed with an off switch. I am working on getting him to know when to quit but he just wants to work so badly . Right now I look for his legs getting trembly, and slowing down a little. He is getting a little better at stopping and getting water but most of the time I have to insist that he take a 5 second break from his all important schedule so he can rehydrate! Silly puppy, he just has so much energy. I have decided that get is going to get some daily mental sessions hoping that will wear him out a little too.

Thanks,

Betsy

I came into this kind of late, but as the others said - puppies don't know when to stop, so they just don't. As they say "Border Collies puppies think they can fly, so when they jump off a table, and break their bones, they just want to go and try again because the gravity wasn't quite right"

Crating the pup (with a kong or something) is a good way to create that "off switch". Some people don't think that they can crate during the day - but it is great for teaching the pup to CALM DOWN and rest! Also limit (as much as possible) running on hard surfaces, jumping, leaping, "flying", falling, twisting, turning, and standing on hind legs until the pup is older to keep those joints safe. :rolleyes:

It is up to us to tell the pups when to stop, but keep the end of play fun by giving treats, cuddles, snuggles, and kongs!