BC Boards

busted nails

jamiezboyz

Has anyone's dog ever had a problem with bad toe nails? Our 12 year old bc's nails started breaking off at the quick when she was about 6 yrs. old. The vet said it was a form of lupus. They put her on prednisone and it helped but made her lethargic and depressed. Her new nails grew in twisted and brittle. We have had her off the meds for a few years and her nails will break off occasionally. It is so painful for her. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I have a 4 year old male Rat Terrrior that can not keep a nail on his toes for very long. They constantly break off if and when they grow. My vet does not seem to know what the problem is, but I would not be suprised if it was lupus as he has another auto immune problem. Since his nails rarely grow anymore he doesn't seem to experience much pain. If he does happen to grow a nail long enough to break, I take him to the vet to have the broken nail removed. They paint it with tinc of benzoin and I keep it wrapped for a day and then we just go on.

I believe there is an inherited problem with toe nails in Irish Water Spaniels. I also knew of a Bearded Collie that kept breaking his toe nails. I believe that dog was completely devoid of toe nails at one point in time. I don't know if his issues were ever resolved.

Bad nails can be a sign of thyroid trouble (thanks Nancy, for that tidbit at the picnic!). Have you had a good complete panel done recently?