BC Boards

bacteria killing dogs in my area

Tiga's_mom

So there's a bacteria in my area that's killing dogs. I called my vet today and there's a vacination for it that's 2 needles 2 weeks apart. I guess it's really easy to transmit, if there's a cracked paw and the dog steps in infected urine they can get it, or from drinking from a puddle. Once they get it there's no cure and the dog passes away. Apparently you can tell if they have it, throwing up, not eating, diahrrea, discolored urine. I'm taking Tiga for his first of the 2 shots tomorrow. It's apparently more common in hunting dogs, but their first case was a shitz tzu owned by an elderly lady who is always on a lease with her. I'm a bit worried, but he's not sick or anything. Has anyone heard of things like this before? Is it common for bacteria's to spread around like this?

Sounds like lepto. We get the vacc here annually but I know it's not given routinely some other places. If it is, and you routinely do vaccninations for other diseases, go ahead and do it.

Yeah that's what it is, I called the vet this morning all in a panic to get him in before we go out of town, and she said no rush that this isn't the time of year they get it, but the time of year the symptons show. If this is a yearly thing, why don't they include it in the yearly booster? I'm still going to get him the needles, but I'm less paniced now, I'll wait until I get back in town.