BC Boards

Mast cell tumor

Valhalla

Has anyone had a dog diagnosed with a cutaenous mast cell tumor?

My Mick has had a dime-size lump on the inside of his hind paw near his toe for about a month now. It is round and relatively hard. He does not exhibit any signs of discomfort or lameness.

I took him to the vet 3 weeks ago and she thought it could be an infection due to a foreign body getting under his skin. He was on Cephalexin for a week, but there was no change in the lump and Mick also lost his appetite so we stopped the meds.

The lump is getting a tiny bit larger, in a tear drop shape rather than round like it was before. My vet did a fine needle aspirate on Tuesday, but the cytology results will not be back before tomorrow or Monday. She suggested it may be a MCT, so this is why I ask.

Originally posted by Valhalla:

Has anyone had a dog diagnosed with a cutaenous mast cell tumor?

Hi, Christine. Rip had one of these a few years ago. He was still running in trials, so maybe he was 9 or 10 at the time. His tumor was about half the size of a dime, in a similar location. My vet removed it and was able to get good margins. He's never had any further trouble.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Joan:

My vet removed it and was able to get good margins. He's never had any further trouble.

In the location that it is, I wouldn't think that there is a lot of extra skin to stretch over the area if the lump has to be removed. Did Rip's have difficulty healing?

In the location that it is, I wouldn't think that there is a lot of extra skin to stretch over the area if the lump has to be removed. Did Rip's have difficulty healing?
No, he didn't have any problems at all. I think he had either two or three stitches. I'm trying to remember exactly where it was - maybe on the outside of an outside toe. His feet are hairy, otherwise I would have noticed it a lot sooner.

Christine,

One of my old retired trial dogs had a MCT on her rear foot in between the two center toes. That was over two years ago and the surgery and healing went very well. As you mentioned, my vet was concerned about healing not going well because of where it was, but again, it healed up beautifully and no sign of it returning or any new ones.

I had a dog with one of these right about where Christine described Mick's. As with others who already have posted, Bubo had one stitch and it healed up very quickly - and though they warned me it might reappear, he never had another one in three years.

My old dog had one well he wasnt old he was 3 when they removed it, they gave him 36 months to live. He died at the age of almost 7 years. I do miss him, The tumor never came back but it cause the compplications that caused him to pass away.

I will be hoping it is just a benigne tumor, please updat us.