BC Boards

ivermectin sensitivity study

Valhalla

The Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Lab of Washington State University's College of Veterinary Medicine has been conducting a study on multi-drug sensitivity in specific breeds of dogs. The researchers have discovered a mutation of the multi-drug resistance gene (mdr1) that causes the sensitivity.

I know a lot of Border Collie people that use ivermectin as a heartworm preventative to cut down on costs. As most of us have been warned, there is a danger of using that for Border Collies (and Collies), but a DNA test is now available to determine if your dog has the mutated gene.

Interestingly enough, other problem drugs listed are Immodium, Acepromazine and Butorphanol (pain control).

For information, go to:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts%2DVCPL/

I had my Collie, Willow, tested for this and she came back "normal-mutant", which means she will have some sensitivity.

Then I sent a swab from our Border Collie, Tenaya, just to know--she came back "Normal-Normal", no sensitivity.

But we have had them both on non-ivermectin heartworm preventative just to be on the safe side.

Most of the research has been done on Collies, since some lines were known to have sensitivities, but they are looking at other herding breeds in particular to determine the incidence.

Deanna in OR

Thanks for the link, I'm going to send off Lily's sample to be tested.

I've always used non ivermectin preventatives with my BCs. When I lived in Colorado where heartworm is not a major health concern like it is in other, warmer states with a high mosquito population; I got Interceptor flavor tabs (pills) from my vet, which is a heartworm, roundworm, whipworm and hookworm preventative; along with using flea and tick control.

Now that I'm living in the south, Interceptor isn't available here or not through my vet at least; but I am using Revolution which is better suited for this area anyway as it protects against worms, fleas and ticks. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a topical solution instead of a pill. I prefer pills, but it's easier to apply now that she has learned to hold fairly still for it to be applied and doesn't have all that puppy fluff that's difficult to part to expose a spot of bare skin to apply the medication to.

Anyone else using Revolution?

It's great this testing is available. I don't mind using non ivermectin products to be on the safe side, but being able to find out for sure will be great; especially as expensive as Revolution is compared to Heartgard or K-9 Advantix. The cost is worth it though.