BC Boards

Hypoglicemic (spelling ?)

Judy Law

My border collies name is Rascal,because that is what he is.He is 2 yrs. old,he has completed all of his training and was ready to start training on agility equipment. I had noticed that when we played frisby at home that he seemed to get tired out after 6 to 10 chases, so I thought I would start to increase his work out to build him up. Well he did as I asked but he collapsed. It really scared me. My vet didn't seem to be worried. I took him out of training for now.How could he compete if he might go down again.At any rate I would like any suggestions on this problem.Thank You Judy

Did your vet say he is hypoglycemic? Our bc-buddy was diagnosed as that last year. We make sure he eats and finally found a food that he likes. And when he is being active-like outdoors running around alot-I'll stop him every so often and put him in a down stay and give him a handful or so of food. We havent had any trouble since......

Your Welcome. I ask myself how would I feel if I were Buddy. I'm running around like a madman-chasing balls, frisbees, swimming, jumping, playing hide and seek and just having a great time (makes me tired just thinking about it). I can tell just by looking at him when he needs a break. People have said to me (non-dog owners, of course) "he can go all day-he's all lungs" or "he's all muscle". I politely say "he's my dog and he needs a break" and they look at me like I'm crazy when I'll feed him a couple handfuls of food and make him rest. Too Bad! His health is more important than what other people think.......

You are so right there health is # 1 ,and that is why I took Rascal out of his classes till I could understand what his needs were. My husband feels I'm over protective,but thats ok at least I feel better about the situation.I can also tell when Rascal is running down now that I know what the problem is.Are there different degrees of this condition? Judy

I can't answer that but AK Dog Doc can. Buddy had his one and only seizure last summer. The ver did blood work and checked his liver and all that was normal. If I were you I would just watch him. You'll get to know his expressions and moods. Like I said before, I can tell by the look on Buddys face when he needs a rest. He won't always lay down on his own. He might miss something!!! My husband tells me the same thing about being overprotective. But it gives me piece of mind and he is now understanding about the "tired face" because he sees it too. Because Buddy is so active he burns off whatever he eats very quickly. He's 50# of lean, mean playing machine. And our vet gave him a clean bill of health last month and said he looked great.....