BC Boards

Vomiting Bile

2 Devils

For all those out there with dogs that have sensitive tummies.

What do you all give your dogs to help ease the excess acid?

Charlotte has been battling an ongoing battle of vomiting bile off and on for years. I posted about this awhile back. Well the problem has arisen again but this time there is a pattern.

This time it seems the vomiting of bile is in between meals. She is fed twice a day. The vets are suggesting that we can do a couple things since feeding 3 times a day or free-feeding is not an option.

1. We can try feeding her a tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin. He says that the pumpkin is high fiber and will stay in her stomach longer.

2. Feed her generic pepcid(much cheaper) daily and see if that helps

3. May have to go to prescription antacids

4. It was also suggested to give her more exercise since it will help release the acid more often- this we plan to do-not sure how since she gets lots now.

We feed canidae and I even tried adding precise, by recommendation, since it supposedly has something in it that helps cut down on the acid build up.

So my questions are to you:

1. Does anyone have more ideas? I prefer not to give pepcid daily unless I have to

2. What do you guys do?

3. Is there something more holistic that acts as an antacid that might be a better option?

Of course I will have more questions...

Try a less concentrated food. A senior or lite food for instance - it's a more convenient way to add the bulk she apparently needs. If she loses weight, try adding a little chicken or beef in the morning meal - raw if you're not squeamish about that, lightly browned in olive oil if you are.

Also, try a few tablespoons of yogurt OR if you have access to a feed store, like Tractor Supply or Southern States, look for Probios - it's a probiotic gel that beats yogurt hollow for tummy upset and you don't have to refrigerate it. A teeny dab will do ya. Some online/catalog pet supply places also carry it.

When I fed kibble, all my highly active working dogs ate senior/lite - only one dog ate regular food and he was retired, just seemed to do best on the concentrated stuff.

Good luck - won't see you next weekend (Charlotte and Cleo's Got Day tournament!) but we'll try for June!

Thanks Rebecca. I will look at switching foods to see if that helps. Do you recommend a food in particular?

My pups don't get to play flyball until June for many reasons. I am not sure if the house will hold up but the dogs will enjoy it later. We are planning to buy a new house and hoping to get an acre or so of land, for the dogs of course

So how are you feeling? Have you healed up yet?

Not quite done healing and hubby is swamped at work, hence no flyball for now. Besides, our dog is at the trainer's brushing up on his trial skills.

I'm at least walking with just a cane now - or with no aid if I'm feeling really wild and crazy!

Good luck on the house - we are remodeling our kitchen on top of lambing, raising a clutch of ducks, and normal life stuff. So we'll be getting back to flyball about the same time you do - though I might still not have a dog to run.

I almost didn't catch this thread...glad I did. Piper will sometimes puke bile but funny enough the only time it really happens is on the weekends for the most part. Most of the time I just dismiss it...hmmm...maybe I'll try the suggestions here.