BC Boards

copper sulphate (sulfate)

flyboytim

So many pet (dog and cat) foods seem to have this as an additive here in the UK. I guess it is to give the element copper in the diet, which is naturally found in meat, and presumably not in plant derived proteins that make up a large proportion of commercial pet foods. Isn't copper in this form poisonous?

This may be a question for Mark, but I believe this is a dose-dependant issue - the uses theraputically I am aware of are as treatment for phosphorus poisoning and iron-deficiency anemias (as a catalyst), though I have no idea how common those uses are (not somthing I have had to deal with in general - never used CuSO4 to treat anything). I believe it is an emetic, though, if given in sufficient doses, and isn't it used to discourage algal growth? I seem to remember something about that - for swimming pools or hot tubs? Can't recall.

Out of curiosity, what do you fly?

LOL! I've flown a kite or two when younger, and a few aeroplanes (paper) (the best ever landed on the lecturer's notes after circling the auditorium - standing ovation!!!) and been on a few airliners, and a hovercraft or two, oh and a boomerang and some frisbees. Just a handle otherwise tho.

CuSO4 - I wondered how well it was absorbed and assimilated, compared to bioorganic sources of the element, or whether it could cause organ damage at regular low doses throughout an animal's lifetime. I would guess the research on feeding CuSO4 has been done with regard to livestock, which have relatively short lives compared to their potential longevity than domestic pets, or even working dogs.