BC Boards

Equine Cosequine for dogs?

Olivia

My not-quite-4-year-old working border collie has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. I would like to start her on Cosequine and have some equine powder left over from my horse. Can I give it to my dog? Carlie is 30 lbs. The equine cosequine has 1800mg Glucosamine, ? (the lable is torn) mg Chondroitin, 600 mg mixed glycosaminoglycans, 104 mg Ascorbate and 16 mg manganese per scoop. So can I measure the scoop in tablespoons and give half a scoop to Carlie? Or would I be better off buying canine cosequine?

It has been quite a bummer finding out about this but now that I know I can give her baby asprin before trial weekends so she won't hurt and I can watch her activity more closely. I am not going to make her stop working, she will do all that she has done in the past until she lets me know (hopefully years from now) that she can't anymore.

Thanks for any advice.

Olivia

There's no reason you can't use it on your dog. The difference between canine and equine Cosequin is that the canine version has more chondroitin in it, but I know people who have used glucosamine alone on their dogs with good results.

I use a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement from Puritan's Pride that was by far the best value I could find. Puritan's Pride is a reputable company and Consumer Reports tested their glucosamine/chondroitin products, finding that they were exactly as advertised. I think the website is http://www.puritan.com.

Thanks guys, for both the info and the sympathy. I work for a vet (I am a vet tech) and they would really like to sell me the cosequin but between the price in general and the markup at the clinic (the clinic is in the ritzy section of town where the rich people will pay $30 for a 10lb bag of food for "mommy's little snookums") I am sure I can work out a better deal.

Thanks,

Olivia