BC Boards

not only off topic but off breed

My AuCaDo was at the vet tonite for acting unusually lethargic, very suddenly. He felt she may have had a seizure. She had one at his clinic while being put under anesthesia for a routine spay a month ago. Before we left the clinic I noticed her muzzzle was swollen. He took her back in and agreed it was swollen, gave her 2 antihistamines and waited to see if the swelling got worse. It didn't. He now assumes she had an allergic reactiom to something.

It is now 11PM and her muzzle is quite swollen. She is getting more antihistames in a minute. Her appetite is good as ever, she is drinking but her muzzle is quite sore.

I will have her back in the vet in the AM. I don't feel this is life threatening. Most reactions are at their most dangerous in the first few minutes.

But what the heck is going on? Any ideas?

She was in the front yard. I was mowing the back yard. My honey was under the van changeing a fuel filter. She came to him under the van and layed down near him. When he got up to move the van, I looked up to see she wasn't going to move. I whistled for him to stop and pulled her out from under it, he had not moved it so I know she wasn't injured by the van. She had voided feces where she was laying and was just kind of out of it. My husband didn't realize she was in any trouble as she often comes to lay near where he is working. Her capillary refill was very poor when I took her to the house, her gums were very pale. I headed straight for the vet. At the vet she was much more in control and her gums were normal by the time she was examined. :confused:

Any thoughts?

It sounds like when a neighbor's dog cornered a copperhead and got bitten on the nose. If so, the vet better have the antivenom handy.

It's morning and her face is still quite swollen, She ate breakfast, drank and other than being uncomfortable is happy and ready to go to the farm!!

My daughter reminded me about those nasty "willy worm" things that sting. I do remember finding one on my pants after that, I just threw it in the trash.

We will never know. But thanks for your response!

As a matter of fact I just heard her barking and running along the fence as the horses ran by the yard on their way to the barn. I guess she will be fine.

I always wanted a bull terrier, now I have a blue one! :rolleyes:

The vet put Boomer on antibiotics and steroids for what he is assuming is an allergic reaction to a bite. She looks goofy, eats like a pig (normal), plays with her purple stuffed animal and if you didn't look at her you would think nothing was wrong.

Oh well such is life!!

I know how you feel. My dog Maggie gave me a heckuva scare once. I'd stopped in the mountains to let the dogs run in the snow and do their business, got back in the van and continued down the winding road, when Maggie looked like she was going to puke -- so I stopped again to get her out, and she looked real wobbly, then her eyes kind of rolled back in her head, and she just fell over flat, and didn't move. Didn't even breathe. I swear I thought she was dead. So I lifted her back in the car and drove the mountain curves like a maniac to get her down to a town big enough to have a vet. By that time she'd come out of the coma-like state, but still wasn't good when I got her into the vet's office. He too thought seizure at first. When he was in another room getting something, I noticed a small bump on her nose, and the snout around it was beginning to swell a bit. So when I showed the vet, he then treated with antihistamine injection & said to follow up with Benadryl.

Could have been anything from a scorpion to a hornet to a tarantula I guess -- who knows? Don't think it was a rattler. What a scare though! Another time Maggie's lips swelled up to the size of large donuts, another time her whole face got puffed out. Now her nickname is Lumpy. She's always liked to eat bugs.

Boomer is goofy! :D There is no explaining her goofyness. She hangs from tree limbs, growling and jerking the limb, for up to 5 minutes. She loves snapping at bees and anything that moves. This is the simpleness of the "australian curse...."

I can't wait to get these beagle puppies into their new hunting homes so I can get a Border Collie and have at least one thinking dog around here! :rolleyes:

Don't you love Cattle Dogs, next to Border Collies, they are one of my favourite breeds, full of fun, bloody naughty, cheeky and so damn good looking. My Cruz is allergic to bees, wasps,green ants ect, I have phergnan in the cupboard just in case he wants to play "snap" with them. I have had to use it twice now and the silly bugger still HASN"T learnt his lesson.

Glad she is feeling better, would love to see a photo of her hanging from a tree branch...

Mandie

Mandie, I'll get you one soon. The major problem is we are running out of low brances. :D

I used to have to duck under the trees to mow the lawn till Boomer came along. We have had her 6 years and all the pruning is done by her. HA!

We got her hopeing to do some herding. Ha! again! She hasn't got a herding instinct in her body. She does kill all the coon and any vermine that manages to get in her path. Our old AuCaDo's were good cattle dogs, she will go into the feedlot and walk up and down the bunk to clean out their noses.

Both her parents have AKC herding titles. We were ignorant about the title system in AKC and assumed it meant the dogs would be good stock dogs. We are now better educated and are looking for a BC. I try to not post too much here, as I do not have a Border Collie right now. I got on the post to ask questions about how to better search for a BC and got to know you folks by reading your posts. Now I am quite fond of you can't quit reading and posting on the general type posts. I try to stay away from the BC specific posts as I do not feel a non owner deserves the right to post on them.

Thanks for everyone being so kind to me and putting up with my ornery heeler and occaisional beagle comparisons. I hope to have a herding quality Border collie in winter or by next spring. :rolleyes:

Cattledogs are also one of a kind dogs I love mine to death but she has herding instinct out the wazoo and it is annoying at times. My bc mix has a ton of prey drive but luckily not too much herding instinct. Don't think I could take 2 of them in the house.

I think I will always own a cattledog...

And yes you Aussies know how to make a good dog