BC Boards

hurt dog need and info

we have 3 dog one is the baby of the other 2 the baby dog out of no where attacked his father which is a boarder collie. now he got peirced through his leg scraped on the other and one and numerous injuries on his neck and face.everything has stopped bleeding we were wondering if anyone knew anything we can give for pain(tylenol if safe) and anything to put on his wound(polysporin)

thanx

lisa

Do not give your dog tylenol. Treat the wounds topically with neosporin tonight. I would advise a visit to the vet tomorrow for the puncture wounds - they must be shaved clean and possibly your dog will need a general antibiotic by then - bite wounds get nasty very quickly. I just had my old guy get a bad infection from one tiny bite on his face I didn't see happen. It happened literally overnight. At least the area must be checked to make sure you've seen and taken care of all the wounds - it's the tiny punture wounds that get yucky fast.

Good luck.

If you can (If he isn't in too bad a shape), give him a bath with warm water and soap. Be sure to rinse him off well and while his coat is wet, look for any bites you might have missed. Trim all the hair away around each bite. That way the vet will be able to find each bite and examine it.

If you and the vet miss a puncture from a bite, it will probably swell up during the next couple of days. If the wound smells, looks really black and bad or if it has red streaks running out from it, it's very important to take the dog back to the vet. He could die from a wound that goes septic.

Swollen, crusty spots need to have the scabs soaked off and should be hotpacked until they open up and start to drain. A hotpack is just a clean cloth soaked in hot soapy water. The water should be hot enough that it is hotter than you would like to hold your hand in for long. Press it firmly against the wound until it cools. Then dip it in hot water again and press the wound again. Repeat this until the wounds release blood and pus. After the wpund opens, put antibiotic ointment on it.

Antibiotic pills or an injection can save your dog's life if he is bitten and the bites get infected, so go to the vet as soon as possible. If he loses his energy or seems to have a fever, going to the vet could save his life.