BC Boards

flea & tick chemicals

nancy

While at Petsmart to get Fergie's (corn meal free) food, I checked out the flea & tick applications.

They sure were cheaper than the Frontline I was about to order. But I notice that the chemicals are different.

The Frontline has fiprol. Most of the ones at Petsmart have permetrin - one with nothing else, one with pyripoxifen, and one with methoprene. One brand has two versions - one with only phenothrin, and one with that and methoprene.

I know nothing about any of these chemicals. Is the savings worth switching from the Frontline, which has worked great for us for 7 years? I do like to save money, but I also want value. And for Fergie to be safe.

BTW, I notice that all these others claim to protect from fleas. Do they mean that I can depend on them for heartworm prevention, too?

I guess it seems like a case of "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

I know I will get slammed here...but if you really want Fergie to be safe then please think twice before you apply all those horribly dangerous chemicals on your beloved dog!!!! I feed garlic, brewers yeast and apple cider vinegar and spray my dogs with an herbal repelent...IT WORKS!!!! I live with 10 dogs in my house..no fleas and when we have our nightly tick check, I pull very few to none off. while some vets will tell you how safe those chemicals are for your pet, there are just as many that will share stories of terrible reactions..even death caused by these products. To each his own but for me, the risk is to high!!!!

The one thing I am certain of is that they don't protect from heartworm. Fleas have nothing to do with the heartworm cycle.

I would probably stick with the Frontline if you're in a high tick/flea area. Often time it's "you get what you pay for". Frontline is more expensive but it works (at least for me) and I don't have to reapply it as often.

Maria

Thanks for the advice.

Coastisclear, I wish I could use your methods. But we are right in the Rocky Mountain Fever belt. Many of my neighbors won't even take their dogs to play in our local field and woods because of the ticks. And we haven't seen a tick on Fergie in years although she plays in that area several times every day. Maybe if we had enough cold for long enough I could go with the natural methods that I prefer. Like if we ever move to Barre, Mass. or Brattleboro, Vt.

I use a product called Tick Guard I purchase it at my local feed store. It works GREAT!! I have been told great things about Neem Bark. There is a dusting powder for fleas and ticks (totally natural) and also a spray. The spray you only need to apply every 5-7 days unless your dogs are swimming..which mine do. I have never used it but have heard many rave reviews. When my Tick Guard runs out I think I will give it a try. Where I live is the Lyme disase capital.. I dont vaccinate, feed raw, no frontline or anything chemical..and have never had anything but healthy, shiney,full of energy dogs. Check out a company called Applied Biological Concepts..I think you'll like them UpNatEm!!