BC Boards

Ripped Pad

jvw

Went to go for a walk in the park with the dogs and noticed Tyra was limping. I took a look and she has a completely raw part on her pad. No black tough skin at all. Just this red jelly like hole.

What should I do? I cleaned it with just warm water. But should I cover it/wrap it or leave it open. Put some kind of meds on it? I can keep her off it most of the time for a couple days. But eventually she's gonna need to run.

TIA

Jennifer

Jennifer, my dogs have this happen sometimes. I've tried meds (pad-kote, etc.) and wrapping, but all this seemed to do was delay the natural toughening up of the pad. I'd just let her rest for a couple of days and gradually work her back up to full speed. If she's in a lot of pain walking on the pad, you could put some nu-skin on it.

I would suggest taking your dog to a vet. My dog cut his pad. After a little while the bleeding stopped but I decided to take him to his vet anyway. I am glad that I did. The vet told me that it was very likely that the pad would have continued to ooze for a very long time and was prone to infection due to contact with the ground. Because of the location of the cut it was decided that my dog would be splinted in order to relieve any pressure on the area. In a week he was good as new.