BC Boards

Vets...About the $$ or.....

buddybear

My mom's friend has a 4 1/2 month old shit-zu puppy. He went today to get fixed, you know hundreds of them are done everyday. So, the vet called her after she dropped him off and said that he couldn't fix him because when he put the tube down his throat he found that there was blood in his lungs. Now the dog was perfectly healthy this morning before he went in. The vet said that he still wanted to keep him to do x-rays and blood tests. When Kathy went to pick up Rocky, he could hardly breath, and he was pretty much dying. The vet said that they couldn't keep him over night and the blood work wouldn't be back until tomorrow. She took Rocky home and the poor dog was in terrible shape. Called the vet, said that he wasn't getting any better is there anything that he could do tonight to make sure everything was okay. He said no. She called 10 different vets and emergency places to see if someone could do something because this dog would certainly not make it through the night. Finally she gets one doctor, my mom and her rush the dog to the vet. This vet said that he had an allergic reaction to the shot they gave before they knocked him out, and his throat started to swell, causing the tube to cut his throat up and bleed. But the vet she took him to said that there was no way he did anything wrong, and it was some type of "trama" that must have happened before for him to have blood in his lungs, like getting hit by a car. Rocky has to stay over a this new vets, and go to another vet in the morning because this vet is only an emergency place and now has a bill of $500 and up. All because the other vet won't take the dog that he messed up back and admitt that he was wrong. The vet Rocky is at now said that there was no way that this puppy would have made it through the night, he couldn't even swallow he had drool all over his face and down his front. And no other vet would help because they didn't want to get in the middle of it because they didn't want to be brought into court or something for "stealing" other vets patients, when this poor dog is dying every second. What goes through the mind of some of these vets??? It made us all so mad. Kathy is crying because she knows that Rocky won't make it if she doen't get him to a vet A.S.A.P. and all the vets are turning her down or giving her numbers to different places, some that were 3 hours away.

In reply to your post, I have a 10try border Collie who is a cancer survivor for a little over 2yrs. He had a small tumor by if front lower K-9 an had part of his lower jaw removed. His vet was just the oppostie an I have all confidence in him. Dr. Jeff Schutte in Kiel WI. On the other hand, my mother had a calico cat for 8 yrs. When she adopted her she was some what over weight, unforunatly she remained that way her whole life. About 1 yr ago 'Molly' got real sick real fast, there was blood in her litter box an she was all out of it. She was takin' tho the vet right away. They ran all kinds of tests, did x-rays an just ran up a large bill of over 500.0 for my mother who would up spending her whole tax return on the bill. 1 week after her first vet visit I had to go an take Molly to be put down, she was diebetic an was not fair to keep her going. Molly's whole system starting to shut down in the week in between. My mother sat an watched helplessly her friend dying. A very sad ordeal, they lived alone together for the entire 8 yrs. she had her. I did some research on the internet an found that in older over weight cats it is common for them to become diebetic. My opnion is the the vet should have none this an checked for this right off the bat.. instead of having them both suffer, he made a good chunck of cash off of her, plus an addtional cost of putting her down an the disposal.. so my opinion is they are no different then people doctors, you have the good ones an the bad ones.

There's definitely good and bad out there...

For 13 months I worked for a Vet that was the most greedy, self absorbed human I've seen in a long time. I saw him on many occaisions purposely run up a bill with totally unnecessary "tests". We had many a verbal brawl in there about it and I finally left his employment out of frustration. I did get to tell him what a pecker I think he is before I went though.

The other Vets I worked for kinda ran the gamut. One was a perfectionist that I can't stand on a personal level, (he's waaay too smug and arrogant) but I wouldn't hesitate to send an animal with some quirky, hard to diagnose problem to him. I've seen him do some absolutely outstanding work, and honestly, I have to say I have never seen him do a half-baked job on a critter. Goes back to that perfectionist side of him. Two of the others were/are very good doctors but you'd better be willing to bring the checkbook along, 'cause they are VERY concerned with the financial aspect of the business. It's not totally a BAD thing, but somethimes I think they put almost too much emphasis on the money. Not saying that they run up a bill, 'cause I never saw either one of them do that, but I have heard one of them say he was for sure gonna charge what he and his time was worth.

The fourth is my favorite and a good personal friend of mine . I've seen her on many occaisions take the sickest animals home with her at night so she could keep a closer eye on them and be able to get some rest too. I've seen her have a sick foal in her living room floor and I've known SEVERAL times where she's treated animals that she knew darn good and well she wouldn't get paid for. A couple of years ago my bird got bitten by one of my rat terriers the very day we were leaving to go on vacation. My friend sewed him up and volunteered to keep him at her house while we were gone. She absolutely refused payment and Murphy of course got excellent care. I just can't say enough about this woman. I absolutely cherish her both as a friend and a doctor. I certainly wish there were more out there like her.

How are things with Rocky now??

Lydia

Lydia

Rocky is much improved. Kathy was able to get him to an emergency hospital that night, and it was determined that he would have not survived over night if he was left. He stayed at the hospital overnight and then was taken to another for the following day. The vet bill is very high, but Kathy has gotten the vet that made this problem pay for the bills. He wouldn't admitt that he did something wrong until Kathy went in the next day and drilled him. I guess you all know by now that she is changing vets, and so am I.

Rocky is 110% better. Thank you all.