BC Boards

Spayed but.....???

workindogs

A friend of mine is fostering a rescue that was spayed before she came into rescue....vet records were turned in to indicate she was spayed and she has an old incision scar.

She was been in the household a couple months and has begun acting like she is coming into heat....the male dogs agree.

Rather than exploratory surgery, wouldn't ultrasound determine whether she has ovaries/uterus?

We are not sure what to make of this but are treating her as though she is in heat.

Any thoughts?

Elizabeth

If there is only a piece of an ovary then ultrasound is "unlikely" to find it. It's not impossible it just depends on how big the remanant is. If there is still a whole ovary then, yes the should see it. I haven't seen three ovaries, but I have seen three testicles in both dogs and horses.

I used to have a female black lab that came to me spayed and she had the scar and documentation to prove it, but when she went into heat I had my doubts. It turned out that she did have pieces of ovaries left, so it can happen. They did not show up on ultrasound, thank god she received exploratory surgery because she had developed cysts.

That was my next question....other than the PIA of having a spayed female going in and out of *heat*. What are the pros and cons of leaving things "as is" or subjecting the dog to exploratory surgery? Are cysts a common problem? Are there other risks of leaving things as they are?

Thanks

Elizabeth