BC Boards

Serendipity or red flags?

8 hours ago, terrecar said:

Do you have any actual data (or even logic) to support this claim that the risk of deafness in double merles is lower than it is for “all pups in a litter that have white or white headed pups”? 

First I have to point out that I mistakenly wrote homozygous when I meant heterozygous! That's obviously a very significant error, for which I apologize. I've corrected it in the original post.

Without being able to find the study again (I've tried but don't recall what discussion it came up in and haven't been able to figure out what keyword(s) to use in a search), the short answer is no. But then again it wasn't my intention but rather my error to say that it's lower for double merles. It's significantly more likely to be higher in double merles. But IIRC it wasn't significantly different in heterozygous (i.e. M/m) merles.

I'm still trying to remember something that would help me locate whatever reference it was to deafness in heterozygous and as I'm racking my brain it may have been in a discussion about blue eyes rather than white heads. I'll have to do some more searching to see if I can find it.

Again, my apologies for my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.