BC Boards

Flyball question

I'm taking a flyball class with my dogs and so far they are having a blast! Tennis balls that shoot out of boxes! What's not to love? The only problem we are having is that Grif runs so fast that when he turns he is ripping his carpal pad (the pad highest on the back of the leg) on the floor. I tried to wrap them with vetwrap last week but it kept slipping down past the injured pad on every run. How do I wrap them so that the bandage doesn't slip? Do I need to tape it at the top or use some other type of bandage material?

Thanks,

Olivia

...recall Laura S's Wick with some things on that looked to me like splint boots for horses
Yes, they would be Skid Boots :rolleyes: Here is a link to a site that has free plans to make your own. My friends that use skid boots on their dogs like this style, as the dog can flex the front ankles.

Skid Boot Plans

I have a pair of the skid boots and don't like them because they actually slid around on the dogs legs but I know a lot of folks that like them though. I had to adjust them all the time.

I wish I could have them for Riot since he has to be wrapped before every race because if you leave the wrap on, he won't settle in his crate.

Tempe will probably end up having to be wrapped too - UGH...

if they're sliding, they're too loose.

Olivia, since you're just starting out, try video-taping your dog's turns to see why he is ripping pads. If there's something you can change now in his turn to protect his feet/pads, that'd be ideal. That said, sometimes there's nothing you can do except wrap...lol.

I only have access to a digital camera that does take movies but they are very grainy and difficult to see details in.

I think he is ripping them on hitting the box. He comes in on the left for his swimmers turn and his front feet hit the box and seem to slide a bit with the lower part of his front legs touching the box. His front feet then leave the box and his back ones push off and he starts his return run. That is the only time I can see where anything but the bottom of his feet hit the ground. I think it may also have to do with the practice box we are using. The material on the pedal is rubber with grooves running up and down. When I run my hand over it from side to side it is very bumpy. Maybe that is what is tearing his pad when he slides on it?

Olivia