BC Boards

Freestyle Trick Question

Has anyone ever trained a dog to put their front paws on your back and walk along behind you?

I've been considering training this trick, but am worried it might lead to jumping on me at inappropriate times. What has your experience been? Do dogs differentiate between being told to jump on you and not jumping any other time?

Yes.

Not only did I teach Molly that particular trick, my little dog has a 'leash' command where she jumps on the front of me to make attaching her leash easier (or grabbing it) because she's little. Both the little dog and Molly do rebounds, and the little one also leaps up into my arms. It has definitely not led, in either case, to general leaping all over me.- much less general leaping on everyone else.

I don't train that exact trick, but I teach my dogs to rise up on their front legs and hold onto my arm with their front paws.

I have not found that it leads to them offering to do it at other times, although I often ask them to do it in non-Freestyle context because I just like it.

One of my 4 Her's did that with her smooth collie. Never had a problem with him jumping up.

The nice thing about tricks like that it can put control on certain behaviours. If a dog jumps up on your back, make sure it is on command. Then if he does it unwanted, let him know it is not wanted. IOW you can put the behavior on cue then not allow it unless on cue