BC Boards

Swallowing a whole bone

Olivia

This isn't about my border collies but y'all are some of the most knowledgeable dog people I know so I just thought I'd ask. I have a 3.5 month old Chinese Crested boy who swallowed a chicken wing tip whole last night. When I make bbq wings I keep the tips and usually give them to my chihuahua. Last night I figured the other little dog in the house could have one too. He just straight up swallowed it. How worried should I be? He's acting fine so far, has not pooped yet though (not unusual, he doesn't poop after dinner, waits to first thing in the am).

Thanks!

Olivia

I would keep waiting and watch him. I wouldn't recommend feeding such small boney pieces, even to such a small dog. A chicken drumstick would be a better size for him and give him something to work at. The bigger and meatier, the safer. Levi gets nothing smaller than 4 slabs of venison ribs together or a chicken quarter.

It was raw, right? If so, it'll probably be OK. But as Waffles says, watch him carefully for any signs of distress.

If it's cooked, then really watch closely for any indications of distress and get him to the vet ASAP.

I also agree that this is too small for just about any dog. You have to know your dog; if the Chi chews the wing tip before swallowing, I guess it's OK. But it's never advisable to give a dog a piece of bone small enough to gulp down without chewing. I'd be giving dogs this size whole chicken wings . . . raw, of course.

You also have the option in the future of holding the wing tip so that the puppy has to chew it before swallowing. If you can teach him to reliably chew first, it might be OK to give him just tips, but he's already demonstrated a tendency to gulp so I'd be very careful with him.

Hope it all comes out OK (pun intended!).

Oh yeah! Definitely raw! The Chi chews the tips very carefully. Looks like the crested will be up to whole wings. Can I whack them a couple of times with a hammer? He's still learning this chewing bones thing (clearly) and gets frustrated easily when he is hungry.

Thanks y'all!

Olivia