BC Boards

Pam Wolf

Hum, Amen Julie.

My old dog, one of them is a cowdog that worked the mobile slaughter unit on fresh undogged cattle. She was wise and stayed in the right place. Would bite if needed and release.....

There are true cattlemen

and then there are....well.....

And amen to you, Tea!

Some people are apparently more interested in the almighty dollar than in respecting the animals (all the animals) they work with. I don't want to be that kind of person.

Wow. What a godawaful attitude! Fortunately I don't know any breeders or handlers with that outlook. Most of the folks I know are still trialing their dogs at 9 or 10 years old and find work for them at home longer than that, health permitting. Besides, good dogs cost too much to replace every 4 years and I've always heard that age 4 or 5 is when a dog is just getting good.

Well, I do know of one cowdog person who never got her male's hips checked because she figured he'd just get kicked in the head some day, and she bred him at least a couple times. But she was sort of an odd duck, anyhow ... and the dog confounded her by living to old age. ;)

~ Gloria

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... I've never heard about people with such low expectations of their dogs...

Going back to an era when folks tended to be much harder with animals,

my father used to say:

"5yrs to train 'em, 5yrs to work 'em, and then they die".