BC Boards

8 year old BC suddenly very sore in morning and after hikes

TB4691

My 8 yo (I think - we adopted him 18 mos ago) BC mix has recently developed quite a bit of hip pain in the morning after vigorous exercise. I fear its HP of course but a hip replacement is not in the cards. Any joint supplements that will help this? Thanks. He's 60 lbs so I think he's a bit overweight, too.

Welcome!

There are a number of things to consider, including arthritis, hip joint issues (like dysplasia), and even tick-borne disease. If you can, how about a vet visit to try and find out the cause of the pain? A vet can examine for joint or muscular pain/inflammation; run an inexpensive test for tick-borne disease (Lyme in particular, although there are other tick-borne diseases that would require a tick panel to aid in diagnosis); check for skeletal issues with x-rays; and perhaps prescribe a pain or anti-inflammatory medication, perhaps along with some rest, if it seems to be a minor injury or soft-tissue problem.

As you already realize, weight can be a contributing factor, making a number of issues more problematic than they would be otherwise.

I am sure others will chime in with better suggestions. Best wishes!

I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet. At that age and if he's overweight, there's always the chance he's developing a little arthritis. Or if it came on real suddenly, as Sue suggests, have the vet do some checks and run some panels. 60 pounds sound on the heavy side, unless he's just a really big boy, so his weight could be a factor in it.

Either way, a little less feed and a visit to the vet sound like the best course. Aging dogs do so much better if they're not packing extra pounds and it also makes it easier for the vet to find out what's going on. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted.

~ Gloria

Glucosamine and chondritin might be reccommended to you, so I'm going to give you a heads-up that they don't seem to actually do anything to help.

The problem is people don't publish studies that say "hey, this thing you've never heard of doesn't help arthritis", so early negative studies don't get published and all the initial stuff is positive. It takes longer for the research to catch up with the real picture, and now that it has it seems that they don't work for arthritis at all. They're pretty safe, are unlikely to do harm, but also are unlikely to do good. I'd agree with going to see the vet (even if just to rule out anything serious that needs urgent treatment), and checking the weight. Weight reduction in particular can make a world of difference to a dog with certain types of joint pain.