BC Boards

Sibling snapping/fights

KJT

Hi all, wanting a bit of info/advice about a situation I have experienced twice over the last month with my 14month male BC and 6 yr old female mixed breed. Both dogs have always got on well, play together (rough and tumble, play boxing, tug, chasey etc). They are walked together daily, go on lead and off, go to agility training together etc. I would say the bitch is the boss, even though she has quite a mild, quiet cuddly nature, but she still puts the youngster in his place and does not put up with his egotistical obnoxious behaviour at times! However we have now had 2 incidences where they have got into a proper fight i.e teeth knashing , growling, snapping etc. the first time appeared to be over a rawhide bone that I had put on the table (out of their reach) but they both knew it was there. the bitch appeared to start it and afterwards the BC jumped on the couch and seemed genuinely weary of her, yet 2mins later proceeded to lick her ears. Tonight the BC started the fight, yet we have no idea what over. My husband had just walked in from work, patted the bitch and then all hell broke loose. Again, he then appeared weary and hid behind the couch not wanting to come near her. He was put in his crate to calm down and the bitch put outside. On both occasions we have pulled the BC off (being smaller), neither has been physically punished, we have just separated them and then it's been back to happy families 5 mins later.

So my questions for you, is this just likely to be sibling rivalry? I.e the older bitch just having enough of the rambunctious teenager and vice versa. How should we handle the situation, both when it is happening and after. Any way of avoiding future episodes?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sounds to me like plain old resource guarding. Guarding the bone on the table, and guarding your husband. I would do some research on it, see if it fits, and if so, go about working on it before it gets worse. This could absolutely just be your younger dog being a teenager and thinking he's a big deal and challenging power and such, but both incidents have been resource based, so I would take a look at that first. I won't tell you exactly how to deal with it (although I'm sure others could) because it's a long process and I'm only just starting it with my dog. The book "Mine!" was a decent resource, though it based off of resource guarding towards humans.

I also think resource guarding. The first resource was the rawhide, the second one was your hubby. I'll also leave the tips on how to deal with it to others who are better at such behavioral isues. But at least you can look for triggers for it, such as a single toy or goodie.

Best of luck. I know you'll get real help from others.

~ Gloria

It sounds like resource guarding and also your boy coming into his own as he matures. The balance of power may be shifting. Sometimes that happens without too much drama but other times it can escalate into something ugly or even dangerous. So now is the time to up your game and start playing close attention to the dogs' interactions and look for signs of tension that might be subtle. RG is a common issue with dogs and both my Border Collie and Lhasa are resource guarders. I use management, clear consistent comunication and training to address the behavior.

First, I try to make sure my dogs don't feel pushed around or uncomfortable when they eat or are playing with a toy. With other dogs who got along well, I have let them playfully "steal" toys from each other. My two blockheads need the rule that they are not allowed to take a toy away, or hover, or stare meaningfully while a dog plays with a toy. They are redirected and if that doesn't work, corrected for not following that rule. When they are fed, I have a closed gate or door between them so the Lhasa does not bug Quinn waiting for him to finish his meal.

Second, I try to ensure that RG leads to the dog losing exactly what he is trying to control. So if Chili growls at Quinn from my lap, he finds himself on the floor. If Quinn decides to lay claim to an area of the living room, for whatever reason, I make him move away from that spot. My dogs are never so tolerant of each other as when I am handing out treats because they know any snarking will result in no treats for the snarker(s). And if a treat falls to the floor, the dog who doesn't snarf it up is very ostentatiously given extra treats for not squabbling over the fallen cookie.

Third, I try to be very clear that my dogs do not get to tell other dogs what to do, where they can go or who they can interact with. I say who gets on the furniture. I say who gets my attention or who can visit with guests. I say if a dog can play with a toy. Those are my calls, not the dog's.

RG occurs over what a dog finds valuable and sometimes that is obvious and sometimes not. Some RG is very easy to spot. Chili is not a subtle dog. He makes his opinions constantly clear with growls and grumbling. He also hovers and intrudes into a dog's space. Quinn is generally more subtle. He can look like he is casually lounging on the floor, but he is actually sending a clear message that Chili better not try walking past him or towards whatever is being guarded. Fortunately, Chili is not one to suffer silently and his complaints alert me to Quinn's sneaky RG.

If you do a search on resource guarding, you will find several threads which may have a lot of very helpful information and suggestions. This topic comes up regularly because it is so common in dogs.

Thank you very much for your replies, it has been very helpful :) Sheltlander, that makes a lot of sense and I suspect my older girl is a sneaky RG too, as although she appears quiet, she always seems to know where the BC is and what he is doing. I will do some more reasearch on resource guarding and be a bit more aware of things that may be consirded "resources" ( e.g my hubby!). Thanks again for putting me on to "RG" - I had never heard of it, but it makes much more sense now regarding the couple of squabbles they have had recently