BC Boards

New to BC

Great new name.

I agree with the others excellent advice.

A covered crate or other small enclosed area that is dark enough to feel safe but is also large enough to stretch and turn in makes an ideal den..

Once past puppy stage, I remove the gates and my dogs choose if and when they want to use their crates.

Having said that, my largest (and oldest) BC prefers to curl up in a small open cardboard box that sits by my desk for waste paper. it seems much too small for him..but he obviously thinks otherwise.

^^ - My oldest BC likes to sleep in a blue recycle container. Go figure :/

I also leave crates with open doors once puppies are house trained. They go in to them when they are stressed (people visit, too much activity) or when they feel tired and the house is still active, etc. Sometimes two or even three will get into one together. The Berners especially like to puppy pile. The Scotties do not share and do not like any other dog going into their crates.

My girl LOVES her crate! We took the door off and put it by our bed. It's her favorite place and she hangs out there most of the day. It's really nice having a crate trained dog especially when you want to go on vacation and need to board them (or take them with you to a hotel).

oh, I love the new name!!! :D

Honestly, it sounds to me like you have a pretty darned good dog inside the shell of that fearful dog (which it sounds like he's quickly breaking out of)!

All of the situations you have described (being startled awake and hugged while under a chair, being taken by the collar by a frustrated stranger) seem to me to be ***very*** reasonable triggers for a dog with his background to bite. And from what you've described he only nipped... which shows great restraint on his part, IMO.

I just wanted to say that I think with a bit of time, patient and TLC Zander sounds like he'll quickly prove to be a fantastic family dog. Of course he might need some training and direction in situations that overwhelm him but honestly he sounds like a pretty great dog all around (especially given his quality of life for the first 6 years).

ETA: I'm another supporter of crates but I think even designating a "den like" space for him under the stairs is a great idea. Just remember to let the whole family know that the new spot is his "safe place" and that it's best not to bother him too much when he's decided to retreat to it.

Thanks again everyone. He is a great dog and I feel so fortunate to get to be the one to turn his life around and give him a good quality of life. I just want the best for my fur babies.

I had assumed that he didn't like water cause he is very afraid of storms like daisy my other pup and she does not like water at all but he surprised the heck out of me a few days ago. While I was outside cleaning a fish tank with the water hose he started running through the water and playing in it. It was the cutest and funniest thing I had seen him do yet.