BC Boards

Huge lower canines

I have a concern about my 11 month's lower canine hooking his left, top lip. I will take him to vet but wonder if anyone else has come across this before and can advise if I should take him asap. I tried but failed to shoot the canines and post pics but my boy has a large mount, large teeth, large tongue. I don't mind at all seeing the lower canine hook the lip but have noticed some red irritation at the bottom of that top lip.

post-15200-0-89278700-1395604787_thumb.jpg

post-15200-0-38440100-1395604817_thumb.jpg

The discoloration you see may be due to saliva staining the hair rather than irritation per se. Now, whether or not that staining is due to some issue in the mouth is another question that I can't answer. It is common on porous white hairs to see staining where there is frequent licking or other fluid discharge (think of the tear stains that can be seen in the small white terriers that have abnormal amounts of tear drainage on the face).

I can't really comment on the size of the teeth but I'm wondering if he just hasn't quite yet "grown into" his adult-sized canines. I know that my young dogs that are not yet full-grown can have canines that look a bit over-sized and catch (rather comically) the lips and give them a silly look.

I hope someone can give you a well-informed answer.

Is that pinkness in the skin or the just a discoloration of the hair? In the photo, it looks more like the hair is stained but the skin beneath is normal. Is that so or is the photo fooling my eyes?

My boy has one lower canine that's a bit tilted out and his upper lip often hangs up on it. It gives him a goofy look but doesn't hurt anything. ;)

~ Gloria

Is that pinkness in the skin or the just a discoloration of the hair? In the photo, it looks more like the hair is stained but the skin beneath is normal. Is that so or is the photo fooling my eyes?

My boy has one lower canine that's a bit tilted out and his upper lip often hangs up on it. It gives him a goofy look but doesn't hurt anything. ;)

~ Gloria

The pinkness looks to me to be irritation and not discoloration. It's precisely the area of the lip that that bottom canine is hooking. But at 11 months, he's still "filling out" so hopefully its something he grows into as Sue has mentioned.

And his lower left canine does look to be tilted outward a bit. I guess I can just wait it out and see where everything falls into place when he's a full fledged adult. It doesn't seem to be bothering him as he looks comfortable (and goofy) enough with the lip hooked by that tooth.

The pinkness looks to me to be irritation and not discoloration. It's precisely the area of the lip that that bottom canine is hooking. But at 11 months, he's still "filling out" so hopefully its something he grows into as Sue has mentioned.

And his lower left canine does look to be tilted outward a bit. I guess I can just wait it out and see where everything falls into place when he's a full fledged adult. It doesn't seem to be bothering him as he looks comfortable (and goofy) enough with the lip hooked by that tooth.