BC Boards

Herding Lessons near Central KY

Tess's Girl

Hello,

I've been a long-time lurker of this board, but I'm a new member.

I'm new to the working world, but not new to the Border Collie. I had a BC mix growing up and now I own a wonderful girl who is about a year and a half. I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations about where I can take herding lessons.

Herding would definitely be recreational for me right now, but it's something that I want to make a part of my life in the future. I hope to own a farm, and possibly even trial. Even if my current girl may not be up to it, I'll keep pursing it with my next BCs (because let's be real, you can't have just one).

I live in Lexington, KY. I've heard of Shady Creek Farms in IN. Has anyone else every heard of them? Here is their website: http://aboutshadycreekfarm.blogspot.com/

They are located about 2 1/2 hours from where I'm located. That's probably as far as I could travel at this point in time. But again, I'm not looking for something immediate I just hope to begin in the somewhat near future.

Thank you.

Dear Aspiring Sheepdogger,

There are many good sheepdog trainers near Lexington Kentucky. Virgil Holland and Paul Tucker come to mind. I don't know Ms. Newhall. Most midwesterners you'd want to take lessons from will be at the Bluegrass in May http://www.bluegrassclassicsdt.com/

Donald McCaig

Lexington KY? The home of one of North America's best stockdog trials - over 600 runs over five days on two fields, from Open down to Novice. That would be the place to go, as Donald says, in May if you want to watch handlers and meet them. Better yet than just going would be to volunteer - a great way to meet people, watch the runs, and make connections.

Vergil is a nationally-regarded handler/trainer, and he takes on students of all levels at his farm near Cynthiana KY (he has a website, www.bctrainingcenter.com). Bob Washer also trains dogs and is a highly-regarded handler, and he's located near Versailles (I could get you contact info if you'd like). Both of these men have years of experience with multiple dogs, and would be a good choice to try.

Best wishes!

Thank you all for the information.

I should have mentioned that I atteneded the Bluegrass last year as a spectator. It was the first time I had been to a trial and I was absolutely blown away. I didn't really talk to many people, but I loved watching the runs and I took tons of pictures. I actually found out about it through these Boards.

I had already been thinking about volunteering at the Bluegrass this year. So I will definitely do that. I've already been looking foraward to attending again.

I visted Holland's website. That's a perfect location so I will contact him and visit the farm. I see that he's written a book, I look forward to reading it. I'm a big book person.

Again, thank you for the information. These Boards have such a wealth of it, I could spend days here reading a learning. Hopefully I will meet many of you at the Bluegrass!

I expect to be at the Bluegrass again this year. I work most of the trial in the little white trailer by the Open field. Come by and say, "Hi!", and we'll put you to work if you already haven't volunteered for a job or two. When the website is ready for 2014, there will be a place to contact someone about volunteering if you would like.

Hope to see you there!

Sounds great. I will definitely sign up when the times comes. If there's any work to be done beforehand I can help with that too since I'm already here. I will also get in touch with the people suggested when the times comes. I believe I'm still a few months out from really delving into anything.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time wears on.

The entire field for the Bluegrass is put up by volunteers (and a prison work crew) in the few days before the trial, and then taken down after. Tuesday, the day before the trial, is always a very busy day for volunteers, setting tarps at the set-out and exhaust, setting up the smaller pop-ups, and just getting all that last-minute stuff done. There is plenty to do before, during, and after. Every volunteer is welcomed and valued!