BC Boards

my baby's misbehaving

We got our bc about a week ago. He is 4 months old. He seems to listen to my husband really well just not me. 2 times already he has played too aggresive with me and started barking and growling at me. He is fine with me most of the time but sometimes acts out of control. I am taking him to obedience classes this week with a personal trainer. Anyone have any helpful hints for me.

With out being there it is difficult to give much advice. I guess the only thing I would say is be sure he is getting plenty of physical and mental exercise. Also, he is a pup. So, a certain amount of being out of control is probably natural.

Do you and your husband spend that same amount of time with him? Who feeds him?

Does he not play aggressively with your husband or does you husband not mind rougher play? Does your husband use a different tone of voice or respond differently to the pup?

It will be interesting to see what the trainer says or what advice others might give. Sorry, I can not be more helpful. Good luck with your pup.

Spike did this all the time when I first got him, and still does it occasionally when he's overexcited or underexercised. What worked for me was the water pistol - one quick squirt quenched him instantly.

I did try squealing in mock-pain when he got too chompy; this must work with most dogs, since I often see it recommended, but when I tried it Spike would freeze for an instant & then pile in twice as hard. But then Spike is kind of evil... :rolleyes:

Good luck with it. Let us know how you go!

Liz & Captain 'Mad Dog' Spike xxx