BC Boards

biting

Today Patch (our 4 year old rescue, that we have had only 3 weeks) bit our 10 year old son in the face. They were playing and my son went to lay on the floor with him and he turned and snapped and got him in the face above the right eye. I believe this was an accident as they were playing but now I have to deal with my sons face being glued as they could not put stitches in that location. I am just worried that they are gonna take him and put him to sleep as he is a rescue and we dont know much about his past. That is what they said will probably happen at the hospital.

As I sit here writing this Patch did his business on the floor next to me ... He was just out and has never did this since we have had him.

I dont know what to do ... ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT!!!! [Frown]

Give the poor pup a second chance.

Sounds like the dog is rather new to he family - and the interaction needs time. The dog-kid deal can be a real long training experience.

We have a 7-year old Fergie. About 4 years ago, our adult daughter developed a relationship with a neat guy who had a 3-year-old daugher. They are now married with a ~1-1/2year old daugher of their own. And they live ~10 miles away.

Over the last 4 years, we have worked with our dog - and with the older daugher - to develop a good and safe relationship. But it has depended on our always being there to monitor the situation. And it also depends on our expecting the kids (at this point, only the older one) to understand how to interact with a pet.

This is what we taught our kids when they grew up with two cats and a dog in our house, a dog at one set of grandparents, and two elderly cats with the other set of grandparents. Plus uncles and aunts with various pets.

Remember that a pup is no smarter than a child - and we hope that our children develop more intellectual ability than even our border collies.

Yes, the dog has to understand how to behave. But so do the kids.

So sorry to hear about the biting! I hope your son heals quickly.

My recommendation is for you to feed your new doggy his meals by hand. You can encourgage him to be gentle and gradually increase the hold you have on his kibble or whatever so that he has to work harder but just as nicely to get the food.

Not only does this gentle up his mouth, but it helps to establish the hierarchy that you want in your pack.

Don't know about the "present" he left you inside. Could he have been stressed out?

I think the present he left was due to him drinking water out of a bucket of ish stones that the neighbor had in her yard. The water was green and he is not feeling well right now ... vomiting ... diarrhea. I dont understand why he drank it tho .. he has 4 other bowls inside & outside of the house with fresh water in them.

I think the present he left was due to him drinking water out of a bucket of fish stones that the neighbor had in her yard. The water was green and he is not feeling well right now ... vomiting ... diarrhea. I dont understand why he drank it .. he has 4 other bowls inside & outside of the house with fresh water in them.