BC Boards

A lot of issues, Main issue impacted anal glands

josey

when i gave her too much organ meat she had diarrhea.

Many dogs can't tolerate large amounts of raw organ meats at one time. And many more will have dire rears when raw organs are first introduced, especially if it's a large amount (and especially liver).

Many people recommend introducing organs very slowly, say a piece the size of a closely trimmed pinky finger nail along with their regular meal. As the dog tolerates this small amount, it can be gradually increased until the full 5/5% is achieved.

Some people can get away with feeding their dogs their full organ allotment for the week in one meal. I'd guess that more can't. I certainly can't, at least with one of my dogs, so I've never even tried with the others, more for my convenience than anything. So my dogs get a small piece of liver and a small piece of whatever other organ I have, usually kidney, almost every day. For my dogs, who are at their ideal body weights of 34, 39 and 47 lbs. (but who all eat the same amount of food, except for the lightest one who needs a little more :huh: ) this amounts to pieces approximately the size of a standard ice cube.

So you can get organ into the raw diet -- and you must for complete nutrition -- without producing the runs, but most people have to do it gradually.