BC Boards

Horse version of Dasuquin for dogs? (Glucosamine joint supplement)

mbc1963

My dog is getting older and his hips are achy sometimes. The vet put him on Dasuquin tablets, which seem to have loosened him up some. I've read online (Amazon, maybe?) about people who buy the powdered horse version of this supplement for their dogs, because it's much cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've got another month or so of pills left, and want to take care of the reserve supplies, but would love to have a less expensive way to get the stuff.

(I've also heard that the human version is cheaper and equivalent. Anyone done that?)

Thanks in advance!

Mary

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have any experience with Dasuquin specifically, but we used to give our old girl horse Glucosamine. She did better on the horse stuff. Bear and my Dad take horse MSM.

If you check with the manufacturer you'll probably find that its pretty much all the same stuff, just packaged different for giving different doses (or flavored different).

The Nutramax Labs website has some info. Looks like the horse version may have a bit more to it (also lists manganese and ascorbic acid), but still things that would benefit the dog as well as the horse. You'd just have to figure out the best dosage.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products-by-health-type/faqs

(There's also coupons on the website.)