BC Boards

Fear of Noises

I have worked with my dog and gotten over many of her issues, but the other day we were walking in the park, and some kids were using skateboards, but they were popping them on the ground, so they sounded like nail guns, which she fears. I walked her past them anyway, and they were really not close, maybe 100 yards away. Now she doesn't even want to go in that area of the park again and headed back to the car. I stopped her and we walked in the other direction. Would it be better to put her on the leash and make her go in that area, hoping she would get used to it when the kids are not there? Is it best to take her there when they are?

Today she was with me and I started using the battery operated screw driver without thinking of her, and lo and behold she had disappeared. Took me a while to find her. Not sure how to handle these things. Is it best to not have her around them or to put her on a short rope so she can get used to it?

You might want to look into desensitization and counter conditioning for her.

Lots of info on line, but it may be best to consult a trainer experienced with this approach.

How old is she? If she's in a fear period right now, it'll be very important to make sure her experiences with new things are positive ones, otherwise she could become a very fearful dog.

She is 8 years old and has always been afraid of noises even barking dogs. When we walk in neighborhoods she wants to go home when a dog behind a fence barks, but I make her walk on. With something like the sound of a nail gun, I am just not sure how to go about it.

At that age, I'd be tempted to just say avoid the noise, and if you're going to be using the nail gun, simply put her some place safe until you're through.

My old dog actually became more sound-sensitive as he aged and his hearing began to go. Sometimes they just don't like loud scary noises, and if you can avoid them easily, there's no reason not to, for her peace of mind. :)

~ Gloria

BCs are notoriously prone to noise phobias, so there may be little you can do about it other than to try to mitigate the severity of things she encounters when you can.

If you know you're going to be somehwere where she may encounter the kinds of noises she's afraid of, you could try giving her 3-6 mg. of melatonin. That helps my thunder- and fireworks phobic dog a lot. It's not a cure, but it calms him enough that he's not terrified, just nervous. (He's cowering at my feet right now because someone in the neighborhood's doing something making loud popping noises.)

L-Theanine may be another possibility, and it's included in this product: https://www.swansonv...e-dogs-21-chews They're available in some pet shops, too.

Maybe a Thunder Shirt if you run into things like this unexpectedly while you're on walks?

I wouldn't recommend flooding, i.e. deliberately excposing her to what she's afraid of in an attempt to "get her used to" it. People like Cesar Millan do it, but it's not considered a sound practice among human behaviorists, so I don't see the sense in trying it on a dog.

It might also be worht talking to your vet about medication if the situation's really interfering with her quality of life.

Good luck.

As a Professional pet Dog Trainer and a Border Collie Mom, I would highly suggest that you do not "flood" her with any noise or fear that she is sensitive to.

There are training methods that do this, but you had better REALLY know what you are doing or it could seriously back fire on you. I would also suggest being VERY careful of any trainer who wants to do this with your dog. If you choose to go with a trainer check out their references and question the Vets of any dog that has gone through such training to see if they think the trainer's methods were professional and if the dog improved or worsened?

I prefer the desensitizing or just avoidance. The noisy kids, the nail gun etc., are not like thunder which can not be avoided, unfortunately.

My 8 y/o BC boy is terrified of thunder! The normal thunder storms that pass through rather quickly are tolerated by using the Thunder Shirt (he still shakes and pants), but when we get a tropical storm that can last for hours and/or really loud bangers, all bets are off. He also appears to be getting worse with them!

Now that I have a new BC puppy I am careful to watch her body language VERY closely to any indication of fear of ANYTHING and remove her until SHE decides it is ok.

I can not be sure but I think Phoenix may have developed this fear as a wee puppy one night before Christmas when Santa came through the neighborhood on a fire engine, with lights spinning, blaring sirens and horns. The combination of the loud sounds and the flashing lights...to him these days equals a thunder and lightening storm!! The fear did not show up until about 4 years ago and has worsened over the year!

Good luck with you fur baby!

Thanks so much. Next time kids are noisy and she wants to go the other way, I will lead her the other way. Now, though, when they are gone, I would still like to walk her that way but am not sure if i should. if is hard walking her when she is afraid of everything, especially new areas of town. Seems like a lot of people have dogs behind fences that bother her, but I walk her anyway, and we seem to get through the bad areas.

She accepts most thunder, which is strange.

Take LOTS of yummy treats to that area of the park, Treat for, in the beginning, just ONE step into the feared area. Then gradually you have to increase the distance ?she has to go for a treat. At first just one step, one treat, later say, two or three steps for a treat. But always, always when there is no kids there, otherwise any progress you made will be undone.