BC Boards

Training collars?

I used pinch collars on both my BC and Aussie because the pulled so hard and I was not able to hold them. Neither one of them were leash trained very well prior to adoption. After about 8 weeks of training we put them on regular collars and low and behold they didn't pull any more, well not that bad anyway. The pinch collar makes some people cringe but it is very effective and doesn't hurt the dog it's just very uncomfortable if they attempt to pull. A gentle leader works for some dogs but my dogs would not use them.

I think most will agree the a choke chain will do more harm than good in the wrong hands.

That being said - you can say the same for a prong collar.

If you do feel the need to go with a prong collar may I suggest that you turn all the links out except 2 or 3 at first? Place 1 at the sides and 1 under the throat. You can even put little plastic "tips" on the prongs so it won't poke as bad. And fit it very high on the neck - just under the ears.

Actually, get some professional help with this. Go to a training course and make sure you work with someone that will show you how to fit a collar and how to use it. 99% of those in beginner obedience with a choke chain have it on wrong. That 1% that did it right did it by mistake. So..please, check with someone first.

Also, micro prongs work really well with the long BC hair. But they are hard to find.

Good luck

Denise

When my dog was younger and rowdy I used a martingale on him. It's a modified choker with or without a chain that prevents over correction when fitted and used properly. I liked it because my dog is sensitive to verbal corrections and when he would feel the martigale tighten (not choke) he would correct himself.

Something else you could try because you mentioned behavioral problems might be a gentle leader or halti. There was a discussion on them a while ago on the board. I volunteer at the local humane society and it sure makes walking large dogs much easier.