BC Boards

Ways to exercise a growing puppy safely?

AerBear26

Hi! I have a 10 month old BC. I plan to do sheep and eventually (long term goal) cattle with him. I am about to have a baby so I cannot make it to herding class at the moment. What are some safe exercises for a growing puppy? I don't want to run him too much or do anything repetitive or strenuous since he is still growing and developing. I also don't have access to grassy fields at the moment to run him on as a softer turf (nor do I have a yard at the moment ! :P ) Ideas?

Thanks!!

Reasonable walks are the best, and good for you, too! Also a limited amount of running, like chasing after a rolled ball. When we took puppy class, they would introduce some of the agility and "world experience" equipment to pups - walking on boards (set on the floor), up and down short sets of steps, walking on odd surfaces (tarps or plastic sheets, for instance), teeter-boards, etc. All these sorts of things provide physical exercise, help develop confidence, and also provide mental exercise at the same time.

Good luck with your pup!

PS - There are some great resources for learning stockwork with your dog in SoCal. Anna Guthrie (stockdogranch) is here on the boards occasionally, located in Pala. Jennifer Clark-Ewers is down close to the border (Campo).

PS - There are some great resources for learning stockwork with your dog in SoCal. Anna Guthrie (stockdogranch) is here on the boards occasionally, located in Pala. Jennifer Clark-Ewers is down close to the border (Campo).

Thanks!! I actually have been herding for over 3 years now with past and present border collies of mine. Getting ready to trial one of my border collies on cattle soonish. (taking a break for upcoming baby). But of course 3 years is nothing and I am always learning. Thanks for the resources!