BC Boards

Flint's first lesson...this weekend

Now that Flint has recovered from his neuter and the trainer/shepherd has some time now that lambing is over...We are going for our first lesson on Sunday! It's 2 1/2 hour drive but will be worth every penny.

DH is not quite as impressed since we're having a family party the next day...but we all know that family won't mind if things aren't quite dusted up (it's my family...not his) ...and sheepherding lessons far outweigh the dust bunnies :D

Now, must remember...balance, balance, balance - for me. :)

Not sure how I can get video...but I'll try!

Have fun, I'd like to read how it goes. I'm taking my dog, Emmie, out sometime in July to see if trial training is something worth pursuing with her. she was adopted off of a ranch where she had failed to do well enough with the cattle there, but we have a very well regarded trial trainer just 10 miles from my home, so I'm hoping to get in there for an assessment before giving up on her as a sheep dog. She should be good at it - on paper anyways!

Have you done sheep herding training before? It wasn't clear to me if this is new to all of you or just Flint!

Loggerboots....I've had occasion to work with this trainer a couple of times with my old dogs (they were 7 & 4 at the time) - They had fun and I learned I had a WHOLE lot to learn :) so, I've watched as many trials as I can, read some really great books and watched some informative DVDs...but this really will be different..Flint's a pup (1 year old) and comes from great working lines...I think I'll have my work cut out for me :)

Well, Flint's first exposure to sheep was not quite what I expected but then again, it wasn't bad. At first, Flint was far more interested in the 3 LGDs and Ross, the BC in the pen with us. It took him a bit before he really noticed the sheep but once he did, he was cautiously interested. By the end of an hour or so, he was good and dirty and tired and I think figuring out some of what was expected.

So, basically, the trainer said - Flint needs to get more time with sheep before he can really start to train us. I guess that will mean figuring out if there's a farmer close by who will let me borrow some sheep or figuring out how to get a new roof AND some sheep.....

congrats - doesn't sound too bad! I'm taking my girl down to the trainer for the first time this weekend. Since I only own her because the rancher that had her before couldn't get her to herd (cattle) properly, I'm setting my expectations nice and low :)

Did you get a video or pictures?