BC Boards

Rest for hurt paw-any thoughts?

Kellylaine

My four month old bc is limping slightly and tends to curl up her front right paw on occasion over the last two and a half days.

She jumped off my daughter's very low bed the other day and cried out in pain. I am assuming this is the reason for the hurt paw.

The vet said the X-ray maybe showed a fuzzy spot on X-rays but lets just wait and watch. She said rest is required.

However, how do you rest a border collie puppy I put her on her leash at all times and she twists, turns, plays tug of war with the leash. Tries to run, I hold her back but I am unsure how to stop her puppy play. I don't think I could crate her all day, it seems inhumane.

Any thoughts?

It is not inhumane. It is required medical treatment. Crate rest till better is a lot better than the foot not healing or becoming worse, requiring surgery and possibly longer crate rest. A stuffed and frozen kong or other chewable toys will help with boredom and teetheing.

Jenny

What Jenny said - crate rest is not cruel but can be a vital part of healing. Use of toys/chews that will keep her occupied are a great way to keep her mind going and herself busy. This would also be a good time to work on polite manners on leash which, at her age, she should be learning already.

Good luck with this!

The worst thing she could be doing right now is playing tug. The way they brace their front legs to tug puts a lot of strain on exactly the places you want to avoid strain. Give her plenty of things to chew on in her crate. Feed her out of a Kong wobbler toy or something else that will make meal time take a long time. Yes, it will be hard on her but it is necessary.