BC Boards

LGD problem

bcnewe2

Jess is my 7 month old Anatolian Shepherd. She practically came working at 4 months. We got her because we had a fox issue and were losing chickens left and right. She wasn't here a few weeks and the foxes have moved on.

Within a month she was in with her sheep and had access to her chickens. I say hers because I've come to the conclusion that she "owns" everything. Including us, everything on the farm and anything live that lives here even the mean ol' border collies that won't let her play with them. She loves everything and protects all.

So...we have one big field, it's about 15 acres give or take. Perimeter fencing is light but electric which Jess respects for now. We are also going to hay our field so for now it is very deep with grass. Which is I think part of the problem.

Every day the sheep are out but come in to eat in the barn yard. It's a fenced tight small paddock that's open to the barn. On a normal day it's open to the field too. Sheep can come and go. Which they do except they used to never come in unless it was breakfast time. Then I started seeing them all the time in it laying under the overhang. Didn't think much about it...now I realize that Jess is putting the sheep there. Just like her border collie family she goes out and herds them into the barn lot. They are not allowed out except in the general vicinity so she can see them. I am now having to correct her and make her let them out. They aren't getting enough grazing time.

I think she is doing this because of the long grass and she can't see all the sheep so this is her way of keeping an eye on everybody, As sweet as she is, this is going to have to be addressed in a firmer manner than it has been. Even the neighbor, one of our best defensives due to where they live they can see our whole place and we can't. So they call the minute they see an issue. She told me that she has taken to yelling at Jess (which she responds to immediately) but if you turn your back she's right back at putting her sheep up.

Yesterday I made her stay in the barn yard shut the gate and let the sheep out. She was mopey all day. But she's going to have to learn the sheep get to pick where they go in the pasture. I sure hope when the grass finally gets mowed she'll feel better about her sheep wandering.

Any ideas???

I've never seen such a wonderful dog start doing her job so quickly and completely that it causes an issue. No matter, she is like a heartworm, so deep in our hearts we are forever in her debt!

post-2529-0-39801200-1371391437_thumb.jpg

Dear Shepherds,

As a inexperienced pup, she hasn't learned how much protection is necessary. I'd bet when the hay is made and she can see them, she'll let them graze further. Next year, when she learns the extent of her authority, it shouldn't be a problem.

Donald McCaig

I hope you are right Donald. I agree with you. For now I guess I have to keep her locked up during grazing times until the hay gets taken in or she figures out what to do. She is mighty wonderful for such a wee one.