BC Boards

Flyball?

Below is something I mistakenly posted on another thread, and I wanted to put it where it belongs. If you have comments, they are certainly welcome and appreciated.Good morning everyone-

Just a little background-

I've grown up around dogs in a suburban atmosphere. My parents have had dogs ranging from English Setters and Cocker Spaniels to *shudders* Shih Tzus. Being around dogs certainly is nothing new. My wife grew up around Golden Retrievers.

We've been married a year and have decided to give one another a puppy for christmas. Obviously getting a golden for her is of no consequence. However, bringing a border collie into the family is something else altogether and something I don't want to do if inappropriate.

I've been doing my research and learning more about the breed. I love the idea of an intelligent, working dog as it tends to fit my own personality. A potential problem though is the fact that I am in no way involved with anything close to herding, nor do I intend to. Having a 'job' for the dog to do is paramount though as I want to provide a fulfilling and happy home as a part of the family.

I guess my general question is this. What is the general opinion of flyball for the breed? I have been to a number of practices now. The owners are definately more fixed on the dogs rather than the sport itself which is encouraging. The dogs themselves look like they love it. What is the opinion of the sport among owners that work their dogs as herders?

Thanks for putting up with my rambling... any comments and/or opinions would be appreciated.

IP: 205.215.216.200

2 Devils

Member posted 11-26-2002 01:49 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foreman,

I have 3 dogs one of which is a bc/mix. Getting a border collie to basically do flyball is not a good reason to get a border collie but I can understand why you would want to.

I do flyball with all my dogs and they absolutely love it. If you do decide to get a border collie I would recommend checking out rescue first. If you really want to compete in flyball, you will have a better chance at running your dog sooner if you get one that is a little older (dogs have to be 1 year to compete in tourneys). Rescue also has pups at times. Or even bc mixes. Mine is a great dog and is pretty fast and still has the brains of a border collie.

Thanks for taking the time to do your research before getting a dog. Many people on this board are true herding folks and are against getting border collies unless you plan to herd with them so please do not take what anyone might say to heart. They are only looking out for the best interest of the breed. Sometimes you can find herding dropouts that would make great flyball dogs. You can email me at flyballdogs@cox.net if you have some other questions. This forum is for the herding folks not us dog sport people. You may want to post this under the obedience/agility forum--this also includes flyball.

Kim

Centreville, VA

IP: 199.170.211.12

Foreman

Member posted 11-26-2002 01:57 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply... I'll follow up on the other thread with questions about flyball.

Personally, getting a dog, regardless of the breed for the sake of a sport isn't justified in my mind. I do want to make that clear. I love the breed and their characteristics. I also am realistic about my situation and know that I won't be able to herd with my dogs. The flyball would be more of a means to satisfy a BC working mentality and an opportunity to share some fun.

Foreman,

Glad to hear you say that. Many people are getting dogs just because they want to compete with them in sports. I don't get to go herding very often so flyball and other activities have to take the place of herding.

If you choose a border collie and you want to go through a breeder, please stay away from the show dogs if possible. The bc's that excel at flyball are usually working dogs. I am against the AKC but some of the AKC breeders also breed for working ability and prefer that the dogs go to sport homes.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I appreciate your candor! Honestly, I am just now coming across the debate between ABCHA and AKC, so I'm still working my way thorough the issues. I won't be in a position to own a border collie for a while yet, so I have time to work through it. I have no interest in showing dogs though.

hypothetical question: (and probably one I will have to deal with eventually) I can imagine that breeders that breed working dogs would feel much more comfortable knowing their dogs went to families where they actually herded (if I'm in err, please correct me)

Do breeders actually allow their puppies to go to families where they won't be worked on a farm... essentially making those families go to rescues?

A caution. I was looking at a Northern California Border Collie Rescue board recently. I saw a suprisingly high number of couples who got a Border Collie before they had children, now have children, and now need to give up their dog. Some BCs are not so great around youngsters. I saw you have been married 1 year - don't know if you are planning to have children, but please file this caution away somewhere. When my children were young we had collies (the dumb as a fencepost kind), now my children are teenagers, and we have 3 BCs, 2 of whom were rescues. All 3 are WONDERFUL dogs.

Take a look at the reasons for giving up these dogs - small children often play into the story. http://bcrescue.dogsaver.org/ownerpage.htm

[This message has been edited by CDevlin (edited 11-26-2002).]

Hi Foreman

The comment about future children is a good ?heads up? ? doesn?t mean don?t get a BC ? just means ? make sure what you get is either already well-socialized with young children and babies, or that you do a lot of work before any kids come along to socialize your dog and get it used to small people. And of course, careful supervision is always in order with any dog. A BC can work really well with littlies if you work at it.

Work at it ? that?s the key with BC ownership anyway IMHO. Do consider doing obedience with any BC you get (or Golden for that matter). Even if you don?t head into competitive obedience, it?s still a great foundation for flyball and agility, and just increases the bond between you and your dog. And do consider agility. There?s a lot more brain stuff in that than in flyball, and BCs absolutely love it. I had a 12 year old who could still go under course time .. well yes, OK, he had course faults like missed contacts ? but he had a heck of a good time doing the course.

------------------

Barb

• 2 weeks later...

One more congratulations for doing your homework. I volunteer with a BC rescue group and had a dog relinquished to me two days ago because, now that the kids are around, they don't have the time to devote to the dog and the dog has started chewing up the babies toys and pretty much making a nuisance of himself. We took the dog to the dog park the next day, he is one of the most remarkable BCs I have ever met. He is perfectly obedience trained and has ball drive galore. I have gotten every one of my BCs through a shelter or rescue. The great thing about a rescue is that the dog has been living with somebody who knows what to look for and knows the dogs personality so that you know what to expect. Rescue is definately not a place where the used, no good dogs, with behavioral problems go. As I said earlier we get some really nice dogs in sometimes. There are the occasional rescues that were confiscated from the owners because of neglect or abuse, but even with dogs like that, after a few years of loving and training they are some of the best, most loving ones out there. I take my BC, who was abused and neglected, to flyball, which he is ok with, obedience which he excells at and agility which we both love!

It is nice to hear that you are looking for an outlet for your dog already. A lot of BC people discover that they need an outlet once the dog has chewed or destroyed something. It is something that it much better if you give the dog the outlet from the start.

Good luck, you and your wife will both become the junkies that the rest of us are!

Abbie and Boots

------------------

Rescue Dogs Rule!

im new, but i have or will have 2 border collies, my current border happy came from a breeder all the her entire family makes up the fastest flyball team in the prov. yet happy cant play, she is to shy and timid, but gennerally border collies that came from homes where the parents herd cattle are the best for flyball as they have to have a very steady temperment to herd cattle, that is where my next border(misty) is coming from both her parents work cattle. i personly LOVE flyball it is a lot of fun but only if the dog loves it too. if you want a border for flyball consider the most active pup from a litter where both parents work cattle, or sheep at least.

• 4 weeks later...

--Hi--

Being an owner of working border collies I would also suggest looking into cattle lines for a steady border collie to use for flyball.

Both of my border collies come from cattle/sheep working parents and they both excell at flyball.

I wouldn't suggest getting a border collie for the sport of Flyball alone. Both of my dogs love flyball and enjoy doing it but flyball is a very simple sport and doesn't present enough mental activity for the dog. All it is is repetition. I suggest if you are set on getting a border collie and just want to do flyball rescue one or if your going to buy a working pup take up other sports. All family dogs need obedience, take up doing obedience competitons as well as agility. They are both fun and add mental as well as physical stimuli for the dog.

Just my two 'pence,

Lindsey