BC Boards

Pet Safety Harness Crash Testing

Has anyone used this harness? http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3577&ParentCat=202

I am debating between this one and the sleepypod one, although not as a safe I like the idea of the dog having a small amount of movement plus I am not sure if the sleepypod will work with my truck as I don't think it has the quick attachment points for a baby seat.

I have PetBuckle for my dogs and have been happy, although they will shift if they are not carefully adjusted. One daughter has a harness I really like the look and feel of but the name slips my mind right now.

Having appropriate attachment points is so important. Our Subaru had great ones but I don't have the same with the Explorer and have to improvise, which I don't like.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone used this harness? http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3577&ParentCat=202

I am debating between this one and the sleepypod one, although not as a safe I like the idea of the dog having a small amount of movement plus I am not sure if the sleepypod will work with my truck as I don't think it has the quick attachment points for a baby seat.

I finally bought one of these harness. I am really impressed by the quality of the construction, it is an entirely different beast to the regular harness that I have for running which is also a good quality german harness. What you don't notice in the photos is the 1/4" neoprene that the webbing is sewn too. The harness also has no buckles the webbing is led through a a piece of metal that looks like the first part so a belt buckle, then back to lock it. I would imagine to minimize failure. You do need a patient dog because of this, as it is a bit fiddly to get it fastened.

Took him for a car ride and he seemed comfortable. There is a short tether piece that attaches to the seat belt with carribeners so it is easy for the dog to sit or lie down, they have limited range of motion within the car.

Hopefully this will help keep all of us a bit safer as we start our travels...

I know I need to improve my system of securing dogs. I have two airline crates tied with rope to anchors in the bed of my truck, inside the camper shell. Not super sturdy. And I do have seatbelt harnesses for them, I believe made by Kurgo.

I don't know how many systems can survive a catastrophic accident. But I'm going on the theory that, imperfect as my present system is, it's better than nothing. If I'm rear-ended, the crates in the back are well forward of the rear axle and so presumably safe from crushing. If I go off the road, the seat-belt harness can and has prevented my dog from bolting in terror when I hope the car door. That's kind of the theory I'm going by, now: if I'm off the road or in a relatively minor accident, if the body of my truck stays intact and the camper shell doesn't explode or fly off, my dogs hopefully have a better chance of survival.

The one thing that breaks my heart time and again is the number of reports in which someone is in a fairly minor accident from which they walk away ... but their dog escapes and bolts in terror, to never be seen alive again. That's the main scenario I hope to avoid. If it ever comes to a truly bad accident, I don't know what would really work. But I do think about it. I just need more money to improve my setup.

Good discussion, all. :)

~ Gloria