BC Boards

Washington state trainers?

Old Shuck

My BC, Argo, herds everything. He herds me and my wife, our other dog, family members. He loves it. I can't blame him -- his parents were both working dogs. His first 4 months of life were spent with them as they herded cattle around a large farm.

I'd love to let him put his instincts to good use, focus them on something positive. Does anyone know of any good trainers in the western Washington area? I'm even willing to travel to the northern Oregon area. I've done some searching online, of course. But I trust this community more to lead me in the right direction.

Also, is it alright that I'm completely new to this? All I know about herding is what I've researched and from watching other dogs at work on occasion.

There are a number of excellent trainers west of the Cascades that come well recommended. Where in Western Washington are you? There are also a number of well known clinicians that frequent our lovely state. Tell me where you are and I'll be able to direct you to someone relatively close.

dave

Olympia, wa

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Kathy Knox clinic happening May 3 - 5 in Eatonville, Wa. I'm pretty confident the working slots are filled but I'm sure there is room for auditors. Kathy is one of the top clinicians we have in North America. She comes to Washington and Oregon 3 or 4 times a year. Send me a private message if you are interested and I'll get you in touch with the lovely human beings that are hosting Kathy. It doesn't get any better for an introduction to dogs working sheep than one of Kathy's clinics.

dave

perhaps 3 times a year in Eatonville. Sometimes 3 - 4 times a year up in the Arlington area. 4 - 6 clinics a year in Olympia. Lessons from top handlers all up and down western Washington almost every month. We are fortunate to have a plethora of education readily available.

You are very fortunate to have Norm & Vicki. They are wonderful.

dave